Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative router

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 satperson

Hello,

I'm really not happy with the performance and functions of Eircom-supplied router. It's quite slow, bad although declared ADSL2+ and my line is NGB as well as Wifi if very bad. I have the silver standard Netopia modem router.

Can any advise me of a good high-performace modem (router optional) that would be good for heavy usage and have IP-updater built in (for dyndns.org and etc.) and preferably without Wifi (optional). Ideally it wouldn't be super-expensive and not extremely hard to configure for an advanced user.

Will be grateful for any suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

satperson wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm really not happy with the performance and functions of Eircom-supplied router. It's quite slow, bad although declared ADSL2+ and my line is NGB as well as Wifi if very bad. I have the silver standard Netopia modem router.

Can any advise me of a good high-performace modem (router optional) that would be good for heavy usage and have IP-updater built in (for dyndns.org and etc.) and preferably without Wifi (optional). Ideally it wouldn't be super-expensive and not extremely hard to configure for an advanced user.

Will be grateful for any suggestions.

Hi satperson,

Thanks for post.

As you'd expect as a company rep, I can't really opt for one router over another, beyond our standard eircom modems (Zyxel P660 and Netopia 2247).

On a personal basis though, I wouldn't mind getting one of these bad boys!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rog7w9pT21Y

Best regards,
    Ant

It look great! But it doesn't have a modem in it... I have a netgear router of similar (gaming) class. I'm looking for a ADSL2+ modem. It can have a router with it but it's optional.
    I think Netopia modem isn't very good for gaming or similar heavy traffic for more than one PC and lacks functionality...
    Are there any places to get the Netopis modem used for broadband talk? It has very good reviews compared to the standard Netopia modem.

Most ISP supplied routers are restrictive.

Get a DD-WRT router.

Use the Eircom router as a gateway, and the other to do all the heavy stuff.

I've tried doing this... I have a netgear for the router and I already use the supplied modem as a gateway. The Internet has became faster. But for some reason it's still not what users of the same Internet package have. It's still slower(although the speed is quite constant), sometimes it just stops loading, or loading pauses and similar things happen... I I know it's not the firewalls of the antivirus software or of this. I'm a relatively professional user.
    Can there be something else wrong overall? Can modem performance go down with time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement