Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on cat who just gave birth

Options
  • 05-09-2011 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Ok, so my cat had 4 kittens a few days ago. I moved them to a more comfortable place (a towel in a box). Anyway I went in to check on her a few minutes ago and when I approached the kittens I reached out to touch them - my cat began to nudge my hand away from the kittens and she proceeded to sit in front of them to block me from accessing them.

So I'm wondering, as a first time owner of new born kittens, is it normal for her to push me away from them? I've had her for over a year now and thought she might at the very least allow ME to touch them.

Anybody have any advice to offer me? I want to know what is the best way to ensure these kittens grow perfectly fine and healthy. I want these kittens to grow up being used to being handled by people for when the time comes for them to go to a new home.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

New mothers especially first time ones can be very protective of their little ones when they first come. As they get older she will become more lenient with you touching her babies. As for making sure that they are friendly, maybe try handling them when mom is having something to eat or gone out for a little while. However if she is not to happy with you going near them you are better off staying away until they are a little older, stressing her out will not do any good whatsoever and she may even attempt to move them to a location which she feels is safer for a her babies and away from you, this is never good, one of my cats was a kitten that was dropped by her mom at 4 weeks and would almost certainly have died or the cold and or starvation had I not found her. Don't worry too much about taming them that will all come when they have their eyes open and are moving around on their own, she should relax a bit more then. Plus kittens learn everything from their mothers that means that if she isn't afraid of you then the kittens will see nothing to be afraid of either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

grand, thanks a mil for the advice :)
    I wont attempt to touch them again for another week or two when they can start moving about properly.
    Last thing I want is for her to feel they're being threatened.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My old cat Puddy( 20) has had three litters in her life, on her first one she was really protective and a little anxious about me touching them, and by her third litter couldn't care less if I picked the kittens up on the same day they were born. As this is your cat's first litter I'd say give her a little time and space and she'll be happy enough to let you handle her kittens in a week or two. Good luck! Kittens are terrific fun once they start exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Totally normal for a new mother as mentioned already, bit by bit she will allow you contact with them. Just keep a close eye that they are all getting a chance to feed etc

Oh and there is a rule round these here parts, you have to put up pics!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So I'm wondering, as a first time owner of new born kittens, is it normal for her to push me away from them?
    Perfectly normal. Leave her to it.Dont take offence. If shes perfectly happy and her kittens are feeding and thriving dont intrude. One of my cats had kittens who didnt make it beyond 2 days despite her brilliant motherly instincts (Fading Kitten Syndrome).
    wrote:
    Anybody have any advice to offer me? I want to know what is the best way to ensure these kittens grow perfectly fine and healthy. I want these kittens to grow up being used to being handled by people for when the time comes for them to go to a new home.
    Queens are generally amazing mothers and need no interjection from us, bar observation,feeding and cleaning of the surroundings. Give her 2-3 weeks of bonding then you can get going with the "human bonding" i.e. slowly and gently handling the kittens,changing the bedding etc.

After that, you can handle them and start planning for the next stage! Weaning, worming and vaccinating....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Thanks everyone for the advice! Much appreciated! :)
    Here's a video of the newborns.
    Apologies for the quality, had to record on my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQtP_bRfCDA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

So cute at that stage, lovely little ones they are. BTW not bad quality at all for a phone.

Advertisement