Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance question

Options
  • 05-09-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I will try keep this short.

Bought van privately, picked it up this eve. Went into an aviva office today and bought insurance over counter €650. Paid by laser.

I had priced a few over phone and this was best price,

Then got e mail from insuremyvan.ie quoting me €390 for the year (mainly same t and cs)

Can i cancel aviva?
    Will i be fined?
    Will tell them why or simply say i never bought van?

Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Your policy and schedule
    The schedule (which should be read as one document in conjunction with your policy),
    and Road Traffic Act Certificate(s) of insurance and disc(s) are separately enclosed. The
    schedule shows your cover and any additional benefits or amendments applicable.
    You have the right to cancel your policy in the 14 days after the start date of the policy;
    or the day on which you receive your policy documents; whichever is later. You need to
    return your certificate and disc to us, so we can cancel the policy. As long as you haven’t
    made any claims, we will work out the premium for the period we have been insuring you
    and refund the balance.

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/car-insurance/collectors-insurance/rhs/Collectors_Motor_policy_PD_042_09_10.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

And insuremyvan uses aviva for most of their policies. So you're quids in ance have nothing go lose. - go treat yourself as a reward

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The danger is they will try and shaft you in relation to fees like charge short term rates,cancellation/set up fees etc so its best to get it cancelled ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

The danger is they will try and shaft you in relation to fees like charge short term rates,cancellation/set up fees etc so its best to get it cancelled ASAP.

When placing business with a direct provider you may leave the contract before 14 days - brokers may have different terms, but if you bought the policy direct from Aviva then you should be able to cancel with zero penalty

• Advertisement

123 charge a €40 non refundable set up fee and they arent a broker.

I know when I was working for FBD people were given the 14 day cooling off period so customers could cancel without being penalised however sometimes they got charged for "time on risk" depending on how long the vehicle was covered for which is why I said the OP should get it cancelled ASAP.

123 charge a €40 non refundable set up fee and they arent a broker.

I know when I was working for FBD people were given the 14 day cooling off period so customers could cancel without being penalised however sometimes they got charged for "time on risk" depending on how long the vehicle was covered for which is why I said the OP should get it cancelled ASAP.

123.ie were recently taken over by RSA, but prior to this they were indeed a broker and as such their terms and conditions may not have changed.

They were/are a tied agent,big difference.Prior to the RSA takeover they were underwritten by Travellers exclusively if I remember correctly.

little bit from column A a little from column B

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/online-insurer-123ie-sold-to-uk-giant-royal-sun-alliance-for-euro65m-2275662.html

Owned by Richardson Insurances in Sandyford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

I too have a van and am about to re-insure it, and change it's use from social domestic and pleasure, to business (why have a white van and not use it for business??). This is the place I am going to try- http://insurancehawks.com/.

Yes I am a man.
    Yes I have a white Van.
    But no I am not going to be stereotyped as White Van Man and be charged higher insurance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

thats just a business advice website. They don't do quotes. This isn't the UK. You are aware this is an Irish site right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Colin4May wrote: »
    I too have a van and am about to re-insure it, and change it's use from social domestic and pleasure, to business (why have a white van and not use it for business??). This is the place I am going to try- http://insurancehawks.com/.

Yes I am a man.
    Yes I have a white Van.
    But no I am not going to be stereotyped as White Van Man and be charged higher insurance!
    Don't forget that commercial insurance covers you "for use in connection with the business described in the schedule". There is no such thing as commercial insurance to cover you for anything that you want to use the van for

Colin4May wrote: »

Yes I am a man.
    Yes I have a white Van.

Im not entirely sure what you are on about.

If you have a van insured,it will be a commercial insurance policy so is covered for work purposes anyway.

Obviously there will be restrictions depending on the insurer (alot wont cover the motor trade for example).

Are you affiliated with that site or something?

Im not entirely sure what you are on about.

If you have a van insured,it will be a commercial insurance policy so is covered for work purposes anyway.

Obviously there will be restrictions depending on the insurer (alot wont cover the motor trade for example).

Are you affiliated with that site or something?

Nope- no affiliations to site- but can see why you may think I am! Anyway, van's just been nicked, so looking at different clauses on the insurance policy now (assuming the Bizzies don't recover it)

peteb2 wrote: »
    thats just a business advice website. They don't do quotes. This isn't the UK. You are aware this is an Irish site right?

I had quite forgotten, I got so carried away in some of the threads.

Advertisement