Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice regarding Home Recording.

Options
  • 05-09-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Okay so let me paint the scene for ya so you all get the current situation. One christmas quite a few years ago, my parents were kind enough to get me an electric guitar which I'd venture cost them quite a bit. The guitar in question was an SX Vintage Series which I still have to this very day and which was accompanied by a Drive Amp. Now I was happy with what I had for a bit but after a while decided to upgrade. I was originally planning on buying a new guitar but then settled on going for a new amp instead.

Well a couple of months ago I went to XMusic and after some playing decided on a Fender Mustang III. As you may well be aware, it's possible to record from a Mustang onto a computer using the amps usb port and cable. Well after downloading the Ableton Live Lite and Fender Software that came with it, I tried getting the recording under way. At first the damn Ableton would register what my guitar was playing but after a large amount of despair and frustration, I finally discovered what was wrong and got it to start recording my guitar.

Only problem now is that what I record is of terrible quality with an awful lot of hiss coming from it. No amount of editing, fidgeting with options or noise removal can solve this problem. Simply put, what is being recorded is of horrible and almost unrecordable quality which I'm not happy with.

My main question is should I buy a microphone to assist with recording a Mustang or is it unnecessary? I'd hate to go out and buy a microphone before realising that it's pointless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

what interface (soundcard) do you use to record?. make sure that you're recording thru the line-in and not the mic-in.

EDIT: sorry, just re-read that you're using USB. i havent a clue whats wrong. you could buy a mic but without a quality amp and interface you may aswell be pissing in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

what interface (soundcard) do you use to record?. make sure that you're recording thru the line-in and not the mic-in.

EDIT: sorry, just re-read that you're using USB. i havent a clue whats wrong. you could buy a mic but without a quality amp and interface you may aswell be pissing in the wind.

Well my laptop has Nvidia High Definition Audio although I did download another HD Audio device to try and help improve sound quality. See the thing is that the Mustang is supposed to be a quality amp so I'm not so sure it's that. By interface, do you mean Ableton?

Well my laptop has Nvidia High Definition Audio although I did download another HD Audio device to try and help improve sound quality. See the thing is that the Mustang is supposed to be a quality amp so I'm not so sure it's that. By interface, do you mean Ableton?

your interface is a sound card. the nvidea drivers that you have are for an onboard soundcard which is about as much use for recording as a chocolate hairdryer.

can you link to the mustang specs and a pic, i might be able to help more if i could see what we're talking about.

your interface is a sound card. the nvidea drivers that you have are for an onboard soundcard which is about as much use for recording as a chocolate hairdryer.

can you link to the mustang specs and a pic, i might be able to help more if i could see what we're talking about.

Well the specs for this amp are provided on the Fender website along with a picture.

Here's the link.

If it helps, the laptop I use is a Compaq Presaqrio CQ60 Notebook.

ahh!! i thought the mustang you were on about was a fender mustang guitar! :D

ok i see how this works.

in ableton are you selecting the correct input from the amp?

it looks to me like you need to use the fender fuse vst plugin as an insert on your recording channel in ableton. if you dont do this you'll get a horrible sound when you record.

if you dont want to use software and want the real amp sound from the mustang, then yes you will need to mic the speaker.

here are a few tutorial videos for using fuse. you should probably take a look thru them.
    https://fuse.fender.com/tutorials.php

• Advertisement

ahh!! i thought the mustang you were on about was a fender mustang guitar! :D

ok i see how this works.

in ableton are you selecting the correct input from the amp?

it looks to me like you need to use the fender fuse vst plugin as an insert on your recording channel in ableton. if you dont do this you'll get a horrible sound when you record.

if you dont want to use software and want the real amp sound from the mustang, then yes you will need to mic the speaker.

here are a few tutorial videos for using fuse. you should probably take a look thru them.
    https://fuse.fender.com/tutorials.php

Cheers for that. I have used Ableton but I think I used an ASIO plugin for the input. I think I have tried Fender Fusion but I'll give it another go and see what happens.

asio is not a plugin. its a driver protocol.

i think you need to do your homework on digital recording before you go any further my friend :D

plugins are track based fx used on your channels in ableton.

to explain it all here would take me all night.

try searching youtube for the following terms.

"using plugins in ableton"
    "setting up asio in ableton"

asio is not a plugin. its a driver protocol.

i think you need to do your homework on digital recording before you go any further my friend :D

plugins are track based fx used on your channels in ableton.

to explain it all here would take me all night.

try searching youtube for the following terms.

"using plugins in ableton"
    "setting up asio in ableton"

Clearly I have a lot to learn.:D

Advertisement