Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts On The Jackson Fun

Options
  • 05-09-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a Jackson Fun.It seems like the type of boat I want incorporating river running and more-so playboating. The outfitting seems to be a lot better than the Pyranha I own now and I'm hoping I can get one cheap if someone sells theres now that the summer is over.

Does anyone own/has owned one before? What are your opinions of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

When you say 'river running' whats your defination of this?

A sping down the Castleconnel or more like the Clare Glens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

When you say 'river running' whats your defination of this?

A sping down the Castleconnel or more like the Clare Glens?

It would mostly be used in Castleconnell.Do you think it could handle the Clare Glens or Castleconnell in flood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I paddle a Fun 1.5 and have taken it on everything from flat water to play spots to surf, to class 4/5! It's a really versatile boat and it can do a bit of everything. I love it. The outfitting is great but I replaced my backrest with a pyranha simply because I prefer the pyranha one.

Truley wrote: »
    I paddle a Fun 1.5 and have taken it on everything from flat water to play spots to surf, to class 4/5! It's a really versatile boat and it can do a bit of everything. I love it. The outfitting is great but I replaced my backrest with a pyranha simply because I prefer the pyranha one.

What types of tricks are possible in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Chavways wrote: »
    What types of tricks are possible in it?

Well you're probably not going to win any freestyle competitions with it but with the right driver I've seen it looped and cartwheeled, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

Would ye consider it better than a Pyranha Sub 7? I own one at the moment but its too big for me and I dont feel completely in control of it.

nookie wrote: »
    The answer to that question very much depends on the application, and given the fact that your not really comparing like with like. The Fun is a far more modern design and would be much more stable and comfortable on a river. Also because it's got much more volume up around the knees you will generate much more pop for loops etc when you get to a hole. That said the Sub 7 with its slicey ends is a doddle to cartwheel both on the flat and in a hole. On a wave tbh I don't know which would perform better but at a push I reckon I'd be having more fun in a Sub 7

If your not feeling in control - what size/weight are you? Also is the boat a one or two ball? Are you sitting tight in it?

Its a 1 ball medium to large.I weigh 70kg which is the lowest recommended weight for the boat and I'm around 5 foot 10.

Ever since I got it I've been having problems with the footrest.There was a minicell foam one that kept popping out so I took it out.As a result of that there was around 7 or 8 inches of free space between my feet and the front of the boat.We then put in solid foam but this is even worse so I'm going to have to take that out.

Also, I have push my knees up into the thigh braces aswell which resluts in pains in my legs after around an hour in the kayak.

• Advertisement

nookie wrote: »
    Well if that's the case then I would suggest that you spend an evening outfitting your boat properly before you think of changing. Get yourself a block of minicell, roll of camping mat and a tin of impact adhesive. Then go to town. Carve yourself a good foam block or build the original up so that it's giving you enough support and glue it in. You should also be able to adjust your thigh braces so they sit comfortably on your thighs (not up at your knees). And I also always (although this is more a matter of personal preference) put a layer or two of camping mat on the seat to boost me up a few inches. It will make you slightly more unstable in the boat but it will also give you far more leverage and control especially if your playing.

Thanks for the suggestion.I've spent hours outfitting so far.Looks like I have another few ahead of me.

Advertisement