Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh My Good God...

Options
  • 05-09-2011 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Long time smoker first time giving them up...
    Been allowing my self 2 cigerates a day getting to the stage were I just dont like them any more

So its more, a phisical addiction then mental which is a good thing... :)

I've not had any change in my apitite actually fining it harder to eat...
    Been getting cold sweats My lungs feel awfull

Ive been smoking for 14 years and i would consider my self a hevyish smoker.

I think I choose to give up because i had to stop the car the other day and cough I sounded like a 70 year old man and more or less made the dession from there on.

I just needed to post this I'm sorry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I need to post again my second big craving of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I stopped again last sunday afternoon. Gum and patches and eating like a horse.

I look forward to being a chubby non smoker in no time.

I gave up before for years and fell back into smoking, so this time it's for keeps. It's not the expense it's the health side of things.

Last time I did it I found going for long walks and also drinking lots of water & reading lots helped (along with patches/gum etc), so that's the plan for me this time too. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Last time I tried it, the coffee and the chinese takeouts went out the window as well, talk about being a glutton for punishment! (Caffeine, MSG, *and* nicotine...)

This time, I have house painting to distract me, so I'm doing a room an hour (almost!).

Plenty of fruit on hand, the water, which you are doing-will work wonders for the skin too, and a graduated regime of exercise is the way to go IMO.

Fun fact: the endorphins released by exercise closely mimics the (artificial) "high" created by satisfying one's craving for nicotine, so there you go :)
    Morlar wrote: »
    I stopped again last sunday afternoon. Gum and patches and eating like a horse.

I look forward to being a chubby non smoker in no time.

I gave up before for years and fell back into smoking, so this time it's for keeps. It's not the expense it's the health side of things.

Last time I did it I found going for long walks and also drinking lots of water & reading lots helped (along with patches/gum etc), so that's the plan for me this time too. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Good luck and keep it up, 9 weeks off em myself. I found Fox's mints, lollipops and ice lollys like fruit pastilles and super splits very good cos it gave me something to occupy my hands and mouth. My cough is totally gone now and my stamina is better, not out of breath now after doing normal activities. Not too impressed with my sense of smell coming back as there seem to be more bad smells out there than nice ones :o. Sense of taste hasn't changed at all so maybe that wasn't affected too much.

6 days today and today is a tough one yesterday wasnt so bad, but today is :/
    But my apitite, has come back

my food in take has been
    4 slices of toast 2 boiled eggs
    4 weata bix.

Bag of crisps
    1.5 liters of fruit juice,
    2 more slices of bread with chease.

and a chicken vindaloo my mam made last night.. dinner not for a nother 4 hours :(

I feel better not looking forward to the cough people have spoken about...
    breath is freasher. coffee can be a tough one, teas brings on stronger cravings

temper Im like the 5th horse man of the apocolips :pac:

but i havent had any nicorete chewing gum in 5 days Im doing my best to do cold turkey as I dont want that drug in me... cheast is kinda sore to... Sex drive is a lot more active to.

I'm having some very horrible cravings today... play stations a big help thinking of getting a psp just to keep me busy....

Its reallyhelpfull to come in hear and just speak about it in some ways helps with the urges/cravings

I also spent the day ina city and walked into god knows how many shops and thought about it but then i got angry because of the que :pac:

• Advertisement

I need a cigerate I am tempted first week of them and I'm in college people are smoking this is not easy .....

My cravings are very strong not the greatest of days so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I struggled for the first week and then things began getting easier, after five weeks i was grand and barely missed them, i am off them three years now and can say that i never even think about them and wouldnt have one ever again. I used to be put off by people saying that they were off them two years but still think about them the whole time but this isnt true, you will find it gets easier every day until you dont even remember you used to smoke. Health wise the benefits are amazing i feel far greater than i used to and the bank balance is much better too.

Just think if you can go a day without smoking then you can do it any day and before long you are off em a week and then a month, the cravings will become far less often and wont last long at all in no time. Defo hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You get easy times & hard times. You have to stick with it. Looking back a year later is fantastic if you are not smoking.

ch750536 wrote: »
    You get easy times & hard times. You have to stick with it. Looking back a year later is fantastic if you are not smoking.

O that is, sooooo fvcking true why did I ever start this stupid habit... right now all I wanna do is smoke a cigerate i just wanna taste that Toxic crap enter my lungs for some stooped reason.. Driving me nuts .... right now i need to eat something...

Other then that todays has been good :)

thanks for all the advice the best thing I've found is food or, tropical fruit juice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

15 days down, have to say it feels like a lot longer.

It's not about the money but having said that I just saved €128.25 ! Wohooo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement