Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plaster board up - whats easiest

Options
  • 05-09-2011 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

HI,

i am doing up an old house. thing is , i have ran out of money for it, and need to finish it as soon and as cheaply as possible, so i can rent it out , and get bank man off my back.(I already have another morgage for the house i am living in)

the walls of the bedroom up stairs, and toilet are plasterboard'ed. is there anything i can do to finish these , without getting someone to plaster them. can i just put some sort of filler to fill the cracks, then maybe...wallpaper???!!!:o

Jo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

hi jo,
    how are the plasterboards fixed to the wall,with screws or dot and dab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

hi jo,
    how are the plasterboards fixed to the wall,with screws or dot and dab

screws onto the timber - but screw are small, and drivin well in , so not stickin out.

jo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

jocotty wrote: »
    screws onto the timber - but screw are small, and drivin well in , so not stickin out.

jo

Plasterboard is designed to allow for joint filling only (i.e. skimming not necessarily required).

Where the long edges of the boards meet, you'll see a shallow depression extending from the edge back about 3". The idea is that you tape the joints with reinforcing tape (builders suppliers) then use joint filler plaster to fill the depression. It's not too hard to get a decent finish - look up a utube vid for it. You can always run a light sanding over it to get a smoother finish when dry.

You can fill the screw heads one at a time

This all assumes:

- the boards are 8 x 4's mounted long edge vertically.

- the boards are mounted evenly so the edges butt together neatly

- normal height rooms where the board touches ceiling at the top and falls below the line of the skirting at the bottom. The short edges of the board don't have the depression and so can't be finished in the above way.

Patterned wallpaper will cover a multitude of error..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Plasterboard is designed to allow for joint filling only (i.e. skimming not necessarily required).

thanks a million.

so, can you wallpaper directly ono the plasterboard so, once the joints have been filled, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Where the long edges of the boards meet, you'll see a shallow depression extending from the edge back about 3". The idea is that you tape the joints with reinforcing tape (builders suppliers) then use joint filler plaster to fill the depression. It's not too hard to get a decent finish - look up a utube vid for it. You can always run a light sanding over it to get a smoother finish when dry.

You can fill the screw heads one at a time

This all assumes:

- the boards are 8 x 4's mounted long edge vertically.

- the boards are mounted evenly so the edges butt together neatly

- normal height rooms where the board touches ceiling at the top and falls below the line of the skirting at the bottom. The short edges of the board don't have the depression and so can't be finished in the above way.

agree totally,good sound advice,you wont have to be to fussy either with finish as your wallpapering

• Advertisement
Advertisement