Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro - Glossy vs. Antiglare

Options
  • 05-09-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna be soon investing in a 15" MacBook Pro, probably in the next few weeks. But I'm planning on upgrading most of the specs on it.

One little thing I'm unsure of. I'm not sure whether to go with the Glossy Screen or the Antiglare one. I know the Antiglare screen seems like a logical choice but I don't really like the silver bezel (frame) on the Antiglare model. I much prefer the look of the black frame which matches in with the screen.

I'm also curious does anybody know if the silver frame is flush with the screen. It looks very like the normal models of laptops where the frame raises above the screen and traps dust etc in the gap.

I haven't been able to tell and it's impossible to find an Antiglare model on display in any of the shops that sell Macs.

If anyone has seen the difference and is able to tell it would be much appreciated. I've watched videos but it's hard to tell from them whether or not the screen is flush or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm also curious does anybody know if the silver frame is flush with the screen. It looks very like the normal models of laptops where the frame raises above the screen and traps dust etc in the gap.
    I don't know about dust, but yes it is slightly raised.
    I haven't been able to tell and it's impossible to find an Antiglare model on display in any of the shops that sell Macs.
    Try CompuB, but afaik it's built-to-order only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't know about dust, but yes it is slightly raised.

Try CompuB, but afaik it's built-to-order only.

Yeah in official Apple Stores they sometimes have them on display no chance of that over here. Although I'd like the Antiglare I think I'll just go for the glossy Hi-res. It looks a lot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

i have the anti-glare and the extra space you get on the screen is worth the extra money in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Talisman

The silver frame is not flush with the screen. I opted for the Hi-res antiglare screen on my latest purchase, on my old MBP I had the glossy display.

The transition from glossy to antiglare has been a lot easier on the eyes than from the transition from antiglare to glossy a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It really depends on the sort of lighting conditions you work in and where you position the machine. I went with the glossy, partly for the same reasons as the OP and it's working out okay, but I wouldn't call anyone who goes antiglare wrong, you need to see it for yourself!

Getting a high res screen on the other hand... It makes so much sense and you'd be mad not to!

• Advertisement

I was definately going for the hi-res screen anyway. It's not a lot of money extra to add it on. I wish you didn't have to lose the normal flush screen to get the Antiglare. I don't think reflections would be too much of a problem for me though I woulda liked to have the anti-glare anyway. But I think it takes away too much from the look of the MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

i have the anti-glare and the extra space you get on the screen is worth the extra money in my opinion

Extra space? From looking (on the Apple website), the screensize is the exact same.

The only difference seems to be the silver as opposed to the black border.

I'm considering going for the high-res anti-glare screen myself next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Third Eye

I have the anti-glare version and really like not having reflections. When you're using the laptop you won't notice what your screen bezel looks like. I wish the I-pad had a non-reflective option too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Paulw wrote: »
    Extra space? From looking (on the Apple website), the screensize is the exact same.

There's more pixels on the Anti Glare so you can fit more on the screen, I went from the glossy to the anti glare, wouldn't switch back, think the anti looks better as well. You also get a better white on the anti glare, the glossy is too glossy if you get me, can lead to a nightmare when printing white as your not seeing the true color.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

When I was buying my new MBP, I had to get it in store and in a rush. My only regret was not being able to hold out and get the Anti Glare screen.

• Advertisement

I dunno what to do now. People seem really into the Antiglare. Do many find this a huge problem on the glossy MacBook? I'm not sure now whether to Antiglare or not. Its kind of a situation of fashion over function. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find the glossy can be annoying depending on light conditions. I don't like the silver border at all, as do a lot of others. A few of my colleagues added on an anti-glare film afterwards. Pain in the ass to get right, but it looks grand afterwards and looks so much better than the anti-glare with silver bezel imo.

I must be the odd one, because I really like the silver bezel on it.

If you use your MBP indoors, with constant light, then the glossy should be ok. If you use your MBP where light conditions change, then the anti-glare would be more useful.

That's my view, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I've read a lot of people saying the glossy screens are better. That their screens have much vibrant colours. And others saying the Antiglare is crisper and better overall. It was such a small decision before now I cant decide.

Another question. Does anyone know why they had to add the silver bezel on the Antiglare screen? Why couldn't they leave it the same was as the glossy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The black bezel on glossy Macs is part of a layer of glass that sits over the LCD. There is no glass on the antiglare version as that would defeat the point, but they still need a bezel to protect the LCD. The only way they could replicate the look of the black bezel would be to use black plastic or black aluminium, either of which would just mess with the whole look of the machine.

The aluminium bezel is better anyway. The glass bezel is far too vulnerable in the case of a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Final Approach

I have a Macbook Pro 13" with glossy screen and am very happy with it. Its reflective surface is very rarely an issue for me, unless I am sitting in a dark room with a window behind me. I also much prefer the glossy black surround over the silver bezel on the Matt version.

I think you should opt for the glossy screen, as I think you'll be very happy with it!

Just found this video and it kinda made up my mind for me.

The difference in colour is too much. I'll probably go for the glossy version. I can't imagine reflections will be such s big problem for me.

Just found this video and it kinda made up my mind for me.

The difference in colour is too much.

My question would be - which screen is showing the true colour of the image??

If both screens were calibrated, then you would know for sure. But, out of the box, there will always be a difference in colour. Even if you compare two identical screens, colour can vary.

That's why photographers, and those who do video processing tend to get the screen calibrated.

In that video, there is no way of knowing if the matte screen or the glossy screen are showing accurate colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If both screens were calibrated, then you would know for sure. But, out of the box, there will always be a difference in colour. Even if you compare two identical screens, colour can vary.

That's why photographers, and those who do video processing tend to get the screen calibrated.

In that video, there is no way of knowing if the matte screen or the glossy screen are showing accurate colours.

This is very important to do when you get it the first time. I find the default profiles are awful and give off a purpleish tint. Spyder Pro is an excellent tool to calibrate, but the best option is to check out some of the Mac forums and do a search for profiles (for your particular macbook model and screen panel type) as some of the community's have professional designers and artists whom upload their calibrated profile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

But after having the screen calibrated would there be much if a difference? One screen seems completely brighter and much more faded. Would this make much of a difference overall?

But after having the screen calibrated would there be much if a difference? One screen seems completely brighter and much more faded. Would this make much of a difference overall?

Once calibrated properly, there should be very little difference in colour and brightness. The only difference really should be glare and no-glare.

Calibration would make a big difference.

I wouldn't do any photo processing/editing without first calibrating the screen. In general, uncalibrated screens are too bright and over-saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Macbook Airs screen is the only decent panel that comes as standard on their laptop range for me.

I went for the glossy option in the end as I'd rarely use it outside the house and the window will be facing me so shouldn't be a problem overall.

Thanks for the help though :D

Advertisement