Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cod Liver Oil - bottled stuff

Options
  • 05-09-2011 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I am in my early 60's and about a year back I started having difficulty with my knee and ankle joints not articulating like they used to. This was most noticeable when descending stairs, I would have to partially support my weight with the bannister. I've been taking two teaspoonfuls of bottled cod liver oil daily for about two months and the stiffness has gone. The capsules didn't seem to cut it, maybe ok for cold and flu prevention.

Anyone found the same, particularly with the pure cod liver oil, or alternatively the capsules ??? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A good few years ago I tried the olive oil with freshly squeezed orange juice first thing in the morning. Not a nice thing on an empty stomach but still it helped a bit with a serious back problem I had at the time.

Rubbing a wee drop of the queer stuff on the joints also provides some relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Cod liver oil - its not that capsules arent good - its depends on the strenght of the active ingredients in them - their actual strenght. usually cheap capsules are low grade, expensive capsules are high grade. thats why the oil itself is a more reliable concentration if you can stomach it.

If you buy low grade oil capsules - just take twice the dose, or maybe 3 capsules. Mor EPA are the best capsules but are expensive. If you can take cod liver oil ( i vomit) go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

its not that capsules arent good - its depends on the strenght of the active ingredients in them - their actual strenght. usually cheap capsules are low grade, expensive capsules are high grade. thats why the oil itself is a more reliable concentration if you can stomach it.

Thanks for that explanation, perhaps I should have worded my post a bit better (OP now edited for clarity). It's just that I have particularly found the oil itself effective in the way I described - 'seven seas' brand. I've also noticed that nails and hair grow a lot faster while using it as well, not that that's any great advantage. I did some years back hear from an old work colleague of mine that he had used it, as his knee joints had stiffened up and again he found after some weeks a notable improvement. Most people dislike the taste ok, but I suppose some orange juice mixed through it might help.

Thanks for that explanation, perhaps I should have worded my post a bit better. It's just that I have particularly found the oil itself effective in the way I described - 'seven seas' brand. I've also noticed that nails and hair grow a lot faster while using it as well, not that that's any great advantage. I did some years back hear from an old work colleague of mine that he had used it, as his knee joints had stiffened up and again he found after some weeks a notable improvement. Most people dislike the taste ok, but I suppose some orange juice mixed through it might help.
    I've always noticed that both the skin and hair (yip! still have it ;)) would become noticeably oily while taking the "potion" but I was reliably informed that this should happen as its proof that the oil is working it's way through the body.

The remedy I was given from a much learned man some time ago was to include fresh orange juice. Takes a fair bit of shaking as the oil will mostly remain on top of the juice. The trick apparently is to take it first thing in the morning and not to eat for at least an hour.

Another person who is a strong advocater of the fish oil told me to make sure it was "virgin" cod liver oil. Not really sure if there's much of a difference though.

Sorry, meant to say "cod liver" in my last post and not "olive"

Ye must have a great constitution. I tried the orange flavour oil - and well it put me right off oranges for a long time. Flashbacks - See orange, burp fish.

But seriously, cod liver oil is great stuff - so is the poitin to rub on the outside with oilve oil. The cod liver oil is good to take for a more long term solution, the hard stuff is good stuff to kill the immediate pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ugh, I remember taking the "original formula" stuff as a child (I have no idea why I was given it), then mother took some pity and we were onto the orange stuff but as mentioned above it was a but ikky. Did I have creaking joints as a child? Have I forgotten something big in my life? Of course I'll soon need CLO for old age ;)

Ye must have a great constitution. I tried the orange flavour oil - and well it put me right off oranges for a long time. Flashbacks - See orange, burp fish.

But seriously, cod liver oil is great stuff - so is the poitin to rub on the outside with oilve oil. The cod liver oil is good to take for a more long term solution, the hard stuff is good stuff to kill the immediate pain.

Only drank poitin once, powerful stuff ok. An old work colleague of mine (not the one with the creaky knees) had a contact somewhere in the West. Cod Liver Oil will never be an acquired taste - I kinda just close my eyes and do a 'down the hatch' with it. :):)

mike65 wrote: »
    Ugh, I remember taking the "original formula" stuff as a child (I have no idea why I was given it), then mother took some pity and we were onto the orange stuff but as mentioned above it was a but ikky. Did I have creaking joints as a child? Have I forgotten something big in my life? Of course I'll soon need CLO for old age ;)

I think the idea was it helped to prevent colds and flus and build healthy bones. It's a handy one to remember ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

I take cod liver oil for my dodgy bones too. I'm not sure how much benefit i get from it but I continue to take it. Some of the top brands (Eskimo, etc.) are really expensive - I just use 7 Seas. I don't mind taking it in the morning (liquid form). They reckon it's good for the old grey matter too. Avoid taking multi vitamins (with Vitamin A) as well though, chemists are often slow to point out some vitamins are not to be taken in excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My mum always swore by Seven Seas CLO liquid and took it every day for many years to help her arthritis. She tried the capsules but said it wasn't as good. I take the capsules because I can't stomach the liquid but as my joints are beginning to creak I may change over to the liquid and see how I get on. I'm not looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    My mum always swore by Seven Seas CLO liquid and took it every day for many years to help her arthritis. She tried the capsules but said it wasn't as good. I take the capsules because I can't stomach the liquid but as my joints are beginning to creak I may change over to the liquid and see how I get on. I'm not looking forward to it!

Your mum's experience and mine would be the same - good luck if you proceed ! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The capsules are just filled with cod liver oil and the outer casing dissolves when they hit your stomach. There's no difference between them and taking the pure liquid. As golden virginia says, look at what the label says to know how much of each nutrient is in there.

irish_goat wrote: »
    The capsules are just filled with cod liver oil and the outer casing dissolves when they hit your stomach. There's no difference between them and taking the pure liquid. As golden virginia says, look at what the label says to know how much of each nutrient is in there.

All I can say is I've tried both as per the directions and the liquid CLO had a definite effect in freeing up both knee and ankle joints - which is why I asked in my OP if other people had found the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Apparently there is something called Emu Oil that you can rub in that has a good effect too.

I am very dubious myself and I think a lot of these things are in the mind as it were. But don't let me dissuade you from trying. After all I don't 'know', just voicing an opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

All I can say is I've tried both as per the directions and the liquid CLO had a definite effect in freeing up both knee and ankle joints - which is why I asked in my OP if other people had found the same. :)

It would have to be down to using different strength CLO as the capsules are literally, just filled with liquid CLO. Unless there's a placebo effect going on for you. I use the high strength capsules myself and definitely notice the difference in my hair and especially my nails. Don't have joint problems yet thankfully. :p

irish_goat wrote: »
    It would have to be down to using different strength CLO as the capsules are literally, just filled with liquid CLO. Unless there's a placebo effect going on for you. I use the high strength capsules myself and definitely notice the difference in my hair and especially my nails. Don't have joint problems yet thankfully. :p

The brand is seven seas, pure cod liver oil. I am open to accept that the same brand capsules work equally effectively, but as regards stiffness of the joints, it was my experience that the bottled CLO was better. If someone comes along and says the capsules worked to relieve stiffness in their case - that's fine !!! One thing for sure there is no placebo effect here - the stuff works ok as it says on the 'tin'. ;):)

Cod liver Oil definitely works.

liquid oil is the best because you can get a good dose in, if you can stomach it.
    You would have to take 2 or 3 capsules to equal the amount of a good dollop of oil down the neck.

For those of us who cant keep the oil in { that me } capsules are the only solution but are a lot more expensive.

You need to look to the strenght of cod liver oil on the container label - 1000 mg per capsule is high grade. But realistically - although the container states take 1 per day- it takes 3 of those capsules to fill a teaspoon.

Those who take liquid oil take a tea spoonful, and that is why they get better results than taking just one capsule.

Capsules are more expensive than oil to take in same dose but ....lidl are very cheap for cod liver capsules...:)

Cod liver Oil definitely works.

liquid oil is the best because you can get a good dose in, if you can stomach it.
    You would have to take 2 or 3 capsules to equal the amount of a good dollop of oil down the neck.

For those of us who cant keep the oil in { that me } capsules are the only solution but are a lot more expensive.

You need to look to the strenght of cod liver oil on the container label - 1000 mg per capsule is high grade. But realistically - although the container states take 1 per day- it takes 3 of those capsules to fill a teaspoon.

Those who take liquid oil take a tea spoonful, and that is why they get better results than taking just one capsule.

Capsules are more expensive than oil to take in same dose but ....lidl are very cheap for cod liver capsules...:)

I think I would agree with you there. I looked at all my teaspoons, all different sizes. My mum's were quite large so probably she took the equivalent of 3 capsules. So, job's oxo then!!

........and seven seas is two teaspoons daily (10 ml) :eek: :):)

........and seven seas is two teaspoons daily (10 ml) :eek: :):)

My mum used to say, hold your breath and pinch your nose, then it'll just slide down. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Ah getting it down was never the problem - twas keeping the damn stuff down. My Mam used to stand us in a row and go down along the line with - wait for it - a dessertspoon. God, I still have nightmares about it.

I did try the capsules once cos someone said they was no taste..... she was right, there was no taste but for three full days - three full days I tell you, that oil repeated on me. I have never ever gone near the stuff since.

I envy those of you who can take it - I know it is really good for you. But I can still taste that taste.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

muffler wrote: »
    A good few years ago I tried the olive oil with freshly squeezed orange juice first thing in the morning. Not a nice thing on an empty stomach but still it helped a bit with a serious back problem I had at the time.

Rubbing a wee drop of the queer stuff on the joints also provides some relief.

Whats queer stuff, is it the thing mcsavage talks about in the savage eye, pronounced quare.

not yet wrote: »
    Whats queer stuff.
    Moonshine ;)

Dubliners - song - Cod Liver Oil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 puffy the panpipe player

Eskimo oil is great. Tastes like lemon and no fishy aftertaste. High in EPA and DHA and is extremely high quality which is why I don't mind paying a bit extra for it :)

It's great for eyes, teeth, hair and nails as well as just giving a general good feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Cherry_Angel

Cod liver oil mixed with orange juice down the hatch and you will be flying fit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Cod liver oil mixed with orange juice down the hatch and you will be flying fit!!!

A mix like that and I think I will be having a fit:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Many years ago, after i wrecked my knee, physio told me to take 2 teaspoons CLO in orange juice first thing in the morning 30 mins before you eat or drink anything else. Seems to work a treat as I had stopped for a long time but this year started back on it and the knee aint so bad now, hard on the stomach (wants to make me gawk but needs must)

not yet wrote: »
    Whats queer stuff, is it the thing mcsavage talks about in the savage eye, pronounced quare.

Yes it is pronounced 'quare' but I don't know whether that's a typically Irish or typically Dublin pronounciation. Maybe others can clarify that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement