Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1545 - Permanent Screen Removal Question

Options
  • 05-09-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All,

Recently I picked up a Dell Inspiron 1545 2 year old laptop with a smashed screen. It is pretty low spec (and as I have a brand new toshiba) so I am thinking of hooking it up to my tv for quick internet access and using as an entertainment centre type thing for youtube, playing hi def movies etc by leaving it permanently on the shelf under the tv and plugging in my external harddrives. It has a hdmi port so shows fine on the tv.

What I am wondering is can I permanently remove the screen and cover to just have the keyboard and mouse pad on the top? Or will there be a hole in the case?

Just wanted some advice before ripping the thing apart...

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check that it boots with them disconnected(lift the back bezel and keyboard). If thats all ok then do it. I'd mount it behind the tv if there was space.

Also wipe it back to factory/install Ubuntu. No need for all the bloat that'll be on it, you'll want an old low spec box to be as snappy as possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1545/en/SM/display.htm#wp1109848 you should be ok,note the wifi aerial is built into the top cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response.. I will give it a try anyway..!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Screen has been removed and the laptop put back together and all in working order!

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement