Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lake for newbie

Options
  • 05-09-2011 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I just started fly fishing this year, I never really caught anything and Im a bit annoyed about that. When I see everybody else around me catching loads and I cant catch anything over a couple of inches :(

Anywho, I was reading in a magazine that in some lakes, the stocked rainbow trout would eat anything you throw in, and that even beginners have a good chance of catching a decent size fish.

Is there any lakes around the north east of the country like that.

Id be really thankful for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Not sure in the North East to be honest - ideally looking for something like Rathbeggan Lakes I would guess, but thats the Dublin area.

You could drop an email to John@BoyneValleyflyfishing.com - he would know the fishing in that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Can you give us an idea of where you are in the Northeast? and if you have transport?

Have been up here http://www.irishfishingbreaks.com/ once of twice, its fairly popular with people from Dundalk, being maybe 20 mins drive or thereabouts. Didnt catch anything myself but there were some nice rainbows being landed including one of about 2 lbs by a young lad around 10 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 damo34

280special wrote: »
    Can you give us an idea of where you are in the Northeast? and if you have transport?

Have been up here http://www.irishfishingbreaks.com/ once of twice, its fairly popular with people from Dundalk, being maybe 20 mins drive or thereabouts. Didnt catch anything myself but there were some nice rainbows being landed including one of about 2 lbs by a young lad around 10 years old.

That place sounds ideal. I looked on the website and it looks very nice. And 10 sterling for half day you cant go wrong. I might see can I organise something for next week.

Emm sorry for the stupid question but what flies should I take.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Not sure how far you are from Mullingar but if you had someone with you,you could try lough lene very safe and good fishing There is public access to the lake at "The Cut". Fishing permits and information on boat hire are available in the local Gala store in Collinstown.

Advertisement