Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Global Starcraft

Options
  • 05-09-2011 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Just thought I'd do a bit of shameless advertising for a clan me and a few guys started up north :) we ran a pretty successful tournament at QCon in June, and we're planning a large tournament starting in October, with online and "LAN" (read live, fu blizzard) elements, with streaming, casting, prizes and sponsors planned.

For more info on NIgs, hit us up on the following:

twitter.com/NIGSC
    facebook.com/groups/165140136894580/
    twitch.tv/NIgStarcraft
    youtube.com/user/NIGlobalStarcraft

We will post when our stream is going live on our twitter, and be sure to retweet news to get us some more followers!

We're trying (and thus far succeeding) to create a bigger esports community in Northern Ireland and Ireland as a whole. Any kind of support is helpful, and if you have any questions, want to try out for the clan, want to play some practice games, or just want to call us fags: add me on bnet - NIgsCluEleSs.788

Lots of Love,

CluEleSs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I posted about this several months ago but I guess it was over-shadowed by the UK SC2 house thing at the same time. I was pretty interested until I realised how derogatory the acronym was.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure advertising is against the rules of boards.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

.....And I'm pretty sure advertising is against the rules of boards.
    But is it really 'advertising' as in "buy this coz its great!" Seems more of a 'we would love some people to join our club'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CluEleSs!?

I posted about this several months ago but I guess it was over-shadowed by the UK SC2 house thing at the same time. I was pretty interested until I realised how derogatory the acronym was.

Well yeah despite my labelling as advertising, it's advertising in the strict sense! I think it's of benefit to the forums that people know about it, and learn that there is a blooming sc2 scene in Northern Ireland!

& yeah the UK SC2 house thing took away some of our thunder, but we're planning an sc2 house starting August 2012, so maybe that'll get some interest back our way :)

& as for the acronym - we hadn't actually realised until after we'd made it. Changing it is on our to do list, but naturally, with everything being set up, and people just starting to get interested and involved, it's an awkward time to change it. Perhaps we could just take the Destiny approach and say it's okay? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I was pretty interested until I realised how derogatory the acronym was.
    Withdrawing your support based on an acronym that isn't actually an offensive word but sounds like one is a little niggardly don't you think?

Not that sort of advertising.

Dustaz wrote: »
    is a little niggardly don't you think?

That made me spit out my juice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Advertising clans is typically allowed as long as it's not repeat spam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i feel bad for any black guy that turns up to play starcraft. he'll know that everyone's thinking it, and everyone else will spend the entire event struggling not to say it to his face

Dustaz wrote: »
    Withdrawing your support based on an acronym that isn't actually an offensive word but sounds like one is a little niggardly don't you think?

Not that sort of advertising.

I didn't say I didn't support it so, no, I don't think.

I think we're just lucky there are no black Starcraft players!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

Sure, because Starcraft players are physically intimidating. Personally I'd be much more worried about black non-starcrafters overhearing the name. >.>

50335_11048913209_3155632_n.jpg

"Did that little white dude seriously just call me a nig?"

• Advertisement

freepower wrote: »
    Sure, because Starcraft players are physically intimidating. Personally I'd be much more worried about black non-starcrafters overhearing the name. >.>

50335_11048913209_3155632_n.jpg

"Did that little white dude seriously just call me a nig?"

Is that Judge Judy's security man!?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

That's motherflippin Ving Rhames! Go watch Pulp Fiction again. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Dont pretend you didnt know it was NIGS. You could have easily called it the NISL or NIGSL

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Maybe I am a bit naive at times, but when I saw NIGS, I thought "Not In GoalS".
    And then when people started kicking up a fuss, I was like, "Oh that seems like an oversight."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MekanicWombat

Renamed btw, sadly I'm stuck with my old clantag though :(

Info on the new name (team?)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MekanicWombat

Mekanic, with the superfluous K instead of spelling it right.

Basically an in-joke relating to all of us having terrible mechanics. Not much other craic really atm til we get a few things sorted

Advertisement