Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bits gaming show! (that old one shown on channel 4)

Options
  • 04-09-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

So there I was last night, bored and looking on youtube and came across old videos of Bits. A late-night gaming show that was shown on Channel 4 from 1999 - 2001.

Does anyone else remember this? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yup I remember it well. Got the first glimpse of Kingpin on the PC through it. Always thought it was well worth stayin up for, Emily Boufantte *drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Yeah man, memories. I would stay up as well to watch it. Think it was on Fridays if memory serves me correct. I actually searched them up today.

Its funny because Emily Newton Dunn now works with EA as a designer / producer. Having worked on the Burnout series and a Harry Potter game.
    Aleks got a PhD. Having also worked with The Guardian newspaper.
    While Emily Booth is still showing her ti*s off. lol. Trying to still become a tv presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I always liked the Sinistar "Beware Coward" sound bite that used to be in the title credits.. but they removed it I guess?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great show, always worth staying up for. Not only were the girls hot but they knew what they were talking about having come from videogames journalism... well except Emily Booth but she did genuinely like videogames. Makes a big difference from ****e like Gamezville.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think one of them presents Tech Weekly on the Guardian. Or did I imagine that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Ah, yes, I remember this one. Loved it bad in the day. There was also a similar show about movies called Vids, but unfortunately that wasn't hosted by a bunch of hot chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If I remember right, saw a preview of a PC game about driving tanks and copters on that show once. Ended up being Hostile Waters, one of my favourite games of all time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its absolutely baffling why there arent any game shows on at the moment, considering how big the industry is, although I'd rather no shows than some dire "down with the kids" attempt like gamezvill again, bring back Gamesmaster I say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

even Movies, Games and Videos was better than Gamezville
    we need a show aimed at the core gaming user i.e. someone who doesn't get picked up from school by mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Man I used to love that show, found out about alot of dreamcast era classics from watching that show. Although that other show that one of them did with Iain Lee was complete ****, as I find him neither funny, entertaining, informed or likeable in any way, really dislike that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Was gamezville the show with that ridiculous, yellow-coloured games guru?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

boiledeggs wrote: »
    Man I used to love that show, found out about alot of dreamcast era classics from watching that show. Although that other show that one of them did with Iain Lee was complete ****, as I find him neither funny, entertaining, informed or likeable in any way, really dislike that guy.

And yet, he got a column in RetroGamer.

There's a few half-decent gameshow knocking about in the netherregions of the Sky digibox, the likes of Gamer Bitesize, which is on the
    Showcase channel and various other placeholder channels, Guru Larry also has a retro-gaming spot on said show. There's also another
    popped up there too. I should check next time I'm in some Sky owner's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Great show, always worth staying up for. Not only were the girls hot but they knew what they were talking about having come from videogames journalism... well except Emily Booth but she did genuinely like videogames. Makes a big difference from ****e like Gamezville.

You know you're getting old when you talk about Gamezville as if it's contemporary tv gaming ****e. That show ended 7 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    And yet, he got a column in RetroGamer.

*snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't there a show on on of the sky channels (can't remember which, possible ) called The Blurb (again, can't remember if that's the name)? It's on abut midnight on saturday. They have a few good interviews with developers and a couple of previews of upcoming stuff, but the hosts are a little "too cool for school" types and can get annoying very quickly (although the girls are cute, so they've learned something from Bits!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Wasn't there a previous edition of Bits with a German blonde on it? Thought it was a few years earlier than 1999 too.

I always found it painfully bad. Must be so tough for tv producers to conceive of a good format for video games as theres a massive audience just waiting to be tapped. Suppose its hard to find something that'll appeal to all types of gamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

penev10 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a previous edition of Bits with a German blonde on it? Thought it was a few years earlier than 1999 too.

I always found it painfully bad. Must be so tough for tv producers to conceive of a good format for video games as theres a massive audience just waiting to be tapped. Suppose its hard to find something that'll appeal to all types of gamers.

true. gamers come in all forms. From kids who like Nintendo Wii/Ds games, to hardcore to casual. Creating a show for all might be hard. But then again, movies are the same. Then YET again you also dont see alot of movie review shows on the major channels anymore. I can only remember 'Film with ...' on BBC1.

But GamesMaster was successful back in the day too :confused: .. this is confusing lol.

Advertisement