Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a decent bottle of rosé?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Hello

As per the topic I'm looking for a decent good value bottle of rosé to entertain and where to buy it? I don't want to spend a fortune, assuming they sometimes go for a fortune, but I would still like it to be of good quality.

Something I can buy around Dublin City Centre would be great, although Redmond's of Ranelagh is also an option.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Plenty of wine snobs won't drink Rose, but ignore them idiots.

You won't go far wrong if you pick up a Californian White Zinfandel, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Des wrote: »

You won't go far wrong if you pick up a Californian White Zinfandel, in my opinion.

Ahh I see, is it considered a lesser wine? I do not know too much about wine being honest, it is for someone I know who does like it.

If I had gotten your reply a bit sooner I would have looked out for the Zinfadel, but I went with a Buffalo Creek Californian from Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Des wrote: »

"Wine snobs" are fully aware that there's a lot of very good rosé out there but a lot of it is muck too.

White Zinfandel is white, Rosé is pink. Zinfandel Rosé is one of the most boring rosés available, it's really just white with a blush and not a proper rosé at all. Try a decent Spanish rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    White Zinfandel is white, Rosé is pink. Zinfandel Rosé is one of the most boring rosés available, it's really just white with a blush and not a proper rosé at all. Try a decent Spanish rose.

Can you name some?

I tried looking for recommendations in Dunnes when I saw someone stocking the shelves but it turned out he did not work for Dunnes. Admittedly a supermarket is not really somewhere one should expect wine advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

dusf wrote: »
    Can you name some?

If you're near one of these shops... otherwise go to a real wine shop, supermarkets aren't great.

http://www.thewinebuff.com/winePage.php?wine=24&search=rose&refer=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Cabernet d'Anjou is a good option but buy it young. Anything pre 2007/8 may be over the hill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm not a huge fan of rosé but this is quite nice.

beringer_stone_cellars_rose.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    "Wine snobs" are fully aware that there's a lot of very good rosé out there but a lot of it is muck too.

White Zinfandel is very much pink, as is White Merlot, White Grenache or any other red grape with the term 'white' in front of it. Why the Americans can't just call it rosé i don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Back on thread topic, i'm not generally a fan of generic commercial wines, but this one from Bodega Faustino is beautiful, lovely crispness and acidity to it.

8410441322005_M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

dusf wrote: »
    Can you name some?

I tried looking for recommendations in Dunnes when I saw someone stocking the shelves but it turned out he did not work for Dunnes. Admittedly a supermarket is not really somewhere one should expect wine advice.

Reminds me of a recent experience - I returned a bottle of wine to a supermarket as it was corked (ribero del duero, c. 15 euro) and the guy in the supermarket wine shop told me that I should not have opened it, as they can't take back any product that has been opened. Took a while to explain.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Personally, I've never enjoyed Californian Zinfandel. As someone else indicated, can't really go wrong with a lot of Spanish rosados. Marques de Caceres is very good. Think Dunnes do it.

Most from the Navarro region are very drinkable. There's one I always get that's in Dunnes too - Gran Feudo. I buy it in Spain too.

Cremant de la Loire is a great sparkling rose from Superquinn and they very often have it half-price at 8.99. I was camping in the vineyard where the grapes are grown for it during the summer. It was half that price again there.

Freixenet does a great sparkling rose too, but more pricey.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Marques de Caceres is very good. Think Dunnes do it.

They don't have the rose yet, but it has been listed with them this week, so another week or two before it's on the shelves I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Tried a few whilst in Portugal - sun is a significant factor in my enjoyment of rose.
    Mateus is standard enough fare but definitely good value.
    Casa do Lago Touriga Nacional Rosado is delicious - not sure if you can buy locally

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

La Source de Vignelaure is my favourite rose, to date.

Not sure where it's sold but JN Wines import it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Im sure there will be plenty of disaproving clucks at this suggestion but Lidl's Cimarosa, Californian Zinfandel Rose is very drinkable and at €4.69 its cheaper than chips.

Advertisement