Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide Awareness Week

Options
  • 04-09-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Runs til the 9th of this month.Saw some stats earlier.
    The suicide crisis centre, Pieta House, says there has been a 40% increase in the number of people coming to them for help in the first six months of the year.
    The new figures have been released to coincide with Suicide Awareness Week, which gets under way today.
    According to Pieta House, 486 people - 386 men and 100 women - died by suicide in Ireland last year.
    The centre says the recession is contributing to the increase in the number of people coming forward for help, with more young unemployed men seeking assistance.
    The research also indicated that 60% of 18-34 year old men turn to their mothers for support if they fell distressed- indicating that the family unit remains the primary support network.
    Events are planned across the country to mark Suicide Awareness Week, which runs until 9 September.

486 people took their own lives,and thats just the ones they know about.Big numbers for such a small population.:(

www.pieta.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

There is a positive that while those seeking help increased the actual number of people committing suicide has decreased.

2010 - 486
    2009 - 527 http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0407/suicide.html
    2008 - 424 http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0902/suicide.html
    2007 - 460 http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0902/suicide.html

The gender divide hasn't changed a whole lot.In 2008 the gender divide was 78% today it's 79.4%.

I've noticed the media have been a lot less negative lately and the anxiety caused by what may around the corner seems to have gone away. People were very panicked in 2009 that the entire country might collapse and I think it contributed to an overall atmosphere that was out of touch with reality. I think if it had more to do with individuals financial positions than the gender gap would have widened a lot more, considering men have been significantly harder hit financially by the recession.

I wonder how large the problem of under-reporting of suicide still is in official numbers. They used to be awful but this was diminished by the late nineties,
    1989 to 1998 during which time numbers almost doubled from 278 deaths to 514. There obviously wasn't a real hike in suicide that large, it was just now being recorded more honestly.

Between 1998 and 2006 suicide numbers fell 20% from 514 to 409.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Bizzare turn around on those figures considering peoples financial crises.

Advertisement