Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court Times...

Options
  • 04-09-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello,i will be appearing in court for the first time in the coming weeks,

i've seen the court timetable and it states court commences at 10:30 to 1 and then lunch for an hour then 2 - 5:30 i think?

my summons states i should be in court for 10:30,

does this mean i will be seen before 1 and before lunch? or is it possible i could have to come back after lunch?

sorry for the pretty basic question,as I've said,I've never been and was just wondering!

thanks for any information in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Sarah316 wrote: »
    Hello,i will be appearing in court for the first time in the coming weeks,

i've seen the court timetable and it states court commences at 10:30 to 1 and then lunch for an hour then 2 - 5:30 i think?

my summons states i should be in court for 10:30,

does this mean i will be seen before 1 and before lunch? or is it possible i could have to come back after lunch?

sorry for the pretty basic question,as I've said,I've never been and was just wondering!

thanks for any information in advance...

You should be there at 1030 and there is no guarantee yu will bedone before lunch. Unfortunatly its how court lists operate and its not very efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Sarah316

Thank You :)...

i was just thinking maybe they see some people from 10:30 to 1 and then bring in others from 2 to 5:30..

thanks for the response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Some courts have an afternoon list with people being summoned to appear at 2pm.

That is no guarantee however that the morning list will not spill over.

Thank you!

Very much appreciated!

now to hatch a plan to avoid newspapers/photographers! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

what I'd do is see what number you are on the list. As someone posted they normally have an afternoon list beginning at two but it can spill over. Always depends on the judge. So if the morning list has 200 cases on it and you're case number 116 then you can be sure you won't be called anytime near 10:30.

BUT be careful. Some judges will quickly run through the list at 10:30 to see who has appeared and then hear those cases first. Might be best to get there for 10:30 and ask a clerk or solicitor or a Garda who would be familiar with the court and the judge to see how they operate. It could save you some time from just waiting to be heard - although sometimes it's fun to sit in court and hear some of the cases.... Lots of choices for you there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

Sarah316 wrote: »
    Thank you!

Very much appreciated!

now to hatch a plan to avoid newspapers/photographers! :(

Unless you're famous or in a high profile case I wouldn't worry about it. And if you were you wouldn't be asking these questions here, I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

brophs wrote: »
    Unless you're famous or in a high profile case I wouldn't worry about it. And if you were you wouldn't be asking these questions here, I suspect.

You'd be surprised, an aunt of mine was up for something minor and ended up in the papers for it. They wrote a small article about her and included it in the courts section of the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Court reports are the bread and butter of provincal newspapers. People buy the papers to see who was up in court.

Yeah and unfortunately for me the Evening Herald seems to be the only newspaper my family and relatives read,which seems to be the only paper worthless enough to print pictures of people who commit minor crimes in them...

surely all the newsworthy crimes would be in the higher courts,yet they seem to print solely district reports...

im not really worried for my sake!

just don't really want to shame my family!

Advertisement