Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Healthcare: obtaining payment issues [was "Blood from a Stone"]

Options
  • 04-09-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm insured with QuinnHealthcare, and while they are very quick to settle hospital and doctors claims, it's impossible to get reimbursed for hotel bills. Let me explain, they clearly state that "they will refund hotel bills, up to E100 per night, for cancer patients who have to travel more than 40 miles for chemotherapy or radiotheraphy." I am now into month number 13 trying to get money back. They said that they would only reimburse me for hotel bills for the nights that I was admitted to hospital. How bizzare is that????

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moved from the Ladies Lounge

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

OP, that benefit is to cover a patient's accommodation costs if they travel for courses of out-patient chemotherapy or radiotherapy. Were you receiving that kind of treatment on the days you're claiming for? And has Quinn paid for the hospital and doctors bills for those treatments?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

Yes, I had those treatments and stayed in a hotel as I was too ill to travel. The doctors have been paid, but there is no charge for radiotherapy. This seems to be the problem, as there is no doctor's fee for on-going treatment. While Quinn are very happy to take my money, they are very reluctant to take my word

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Which Quinn plan was it?

Company Health Plus

• Advertisement

I can't see why you wouldn't have been eligible for the accomodation assistance grant for cancer patients travelling for out-patient radiotherapy or chemotherapy treatment.

So long as you are travelling a minimum of 40 miles to the treatment centre, one should receive upto €100 for each day of treatment.

Are they claiming that you never received treatment ?

It doesn't say anywhere in their rules that the radiotherapy has to be a "paid procedure".

Can you state what the reason for turning you down was.

ps - there should be no excess on this benefit either for Company Health Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

OP, I'm stumped. If Quinn paid the doctors' bills they should know that you received out-patient treatment that day. I presume you received the treatment in a public hospital, hence no hospital bill, but that doesn't explain why it's taking over a year to get it sorted. And presumably the hotel bill shows you stayed on the night of the day you received the treatment. Are you claiming for more than just that night?

If you're not, then I'd suggest writing to them ask them to review the case one last time. If you're not happy with the outcome, you can then refer the matter to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

A 1 night accommodation charge was eligible for the first admission to hospital 08/06/2011, as you were admitted to hospital for 1 day only. We will provide benefit for 1 nights accommodation for 1 days treatment only.

This is the reason given by them for not paying the total of 10 nights. My consultant has given them all the dates that I had treatment on, but apparently they're not having any of it. I'll keep after them and if all fails then I will take it up with the Financial Ombudsman. I originally submitted my receipts in August 2010.

Am I right in saying that you visited hospital on 8th June 2010 for radiotherapy on outpatient basis.? You didn't feel well and you stayed in a hotel. Quinn have paid you for this night ? You then stayed in for another 9 nights and they have failed to pay you for these nights?

Aviva - Cancer support benefit
    This benefit is payable to members for accommodation costs incurred when travelling to receive in-patient or day case chemotherapy or radiotherapy. We will contribute up to €100 per day up to a maximum of €1500 per calendar year. Dated eligible receipts on headed paper will be necessary to avail of this benefit. The member must be the person receiving chemotherapy or radiotherapy, and must have travelled more than 50 Kilometres, each way, from your home in order to receive treatment.

VHI Cancer Care Support Benefit
    We will pay the benefits listed in Section 5 of your Table of Benefits towards the accommodation costs of a member
    in a hotel, hostel or & when a member travels to receive out-patient chemotherapy and/or out-patient radiotherapy
    treatment in a Vhi approved hospital covered by your plan. Only claims accompanied by dated receipts on headed paper
    will be eligible for benefit.

Quinn
    Up to €100 per night towards the cost of overnight accommodation (e.g. B&B, hotel, etc), if you have to travel over 40 miles for
    out-patient treatment

• Advertisement

I had radiotherapy treatment 5 days a week beginning on May 17th. finishing on July 1st. 2010. I also had 5 chemotheraphy treatments, one a week, beginning on May 17th. After about 3 weeks I became so ill, that travel was impossible and I had to stay in a hotel. My day consisted of taking a taxi to the hospital, having treatment, taxi back to hotel, and into bed until it started all over again the next morning, confident in the knowledge that I would be reimbursed!!!!
    For 2 weeks the stay-over were for 3 nights, Tues. Wed & Thurs., and 1 week I had a 4 night stay. Grand total of 10, for which they have reimbursed me for 4. And no, I didn't stay in the most expensive hotel, I sought out the cheapest!!!
    E59 per night!!!!!

I haven't come across the non paymnet of the benefit before. I would summise that the benefit is for travel to and so is probably, unfortunately covered.

Thanks. They certainly are dragging their legs in payments this time. But TG I feel well enough to fight them every inch of the way. I have all my insurances with them, and pay up on demand. I'm so disgusted with them.

‘The cost of accommodation for cancer patients who travel for out-patient treatment (i.e. chemotherapy and radiotherapy). This can be claimed during the year by members who have to travel a minimum of 40 miles to the treatment centre’. ‘Up to E100 per night’.

This is clearly stated that it's for accommodation, and I quote from their rules and regulations

I agree with you it is ambigious.

Complaints :

Our primary objective is to provide a first class service to our members at all times. However, if you are in anyway dissatisfied please phone, e mail or write to;

The Customer Service Manager
    QUINN-healthcare
    Eastgate Road
    Eastgate Business Park
    Little Island
    Co Cork
    Telephone: 1890 700 890
    info@quinn-healthcare.com

QUINN-healthcare takes part in the insurance ombudsman scheme. In the event of your dissatisfaction continuing you have direct recourse to the

Office of the Insurance Ombudsman.
    Financial Services Ombudsman
    3rd Floor, Lincoln House
    Lincoln Place
    Dublin 2
    Telephone: 1890 88 20 90
    Fax: 01 6620890
    Email: enquires@financialombudsman.ie or visit www.financialombudsman.ie

Thanks for that Broker 2008. I wrote (e-mailed) them today and told them that if they wouldn't settle with me, I was taking my case to the Financial Services Ombudsman. No reply as yet. Twice they asked for and were given a detailed account of all the dates on which I was treated. What more do they want????Would be interesting to see what happens to my policies etc.....

Thanks for that Broker 2008. I wrote (e-mailed) them today and told them that if they wouldn't settle with me, I was taking my case to the Financial Services Ombudsman. No reply as yet. Twice they asked for and were given a detailed account of all the dates on which I was treated. What more do they want????Would be interesting to see what happens to my policies etc.....

Yes please keep us posted on what happens. Good luck.

Within two weeks of that threat to go to the Financial Ombudsman, they paid up. It took 13 months to get it settled.

Advertisement