Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was I ripped off...?? €12K for an OPEL CORSA

Options
  • 04-09-2011 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

In November 2004 I bought a 04' Corsa (2ND Hand). 17.000 Miles on it. 1 Owner.
    Bought it in Crosson Opel (Now Imports Direct, Clarehall). Car was €8000 and with interest on the loan total came to €12000. I'm starting to regret buying it.
    Should have went for the Astra.

So, do you I was ripped off ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Ensti wrote: »
    Bought it in Crosson Opel (Now Imports Direct, Clarehall). Car was €8000 and with interest on the loan total came to €12000. I'm starting to regret buying it.

7 years later????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

You may well have been ripped off by the interest rate on your finance ;) but I can't say I think you were screwed over regarding the basic price of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You bought a car and have owned it for 7 years..

.. and you're only NOW starting to regret buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Is this a real question???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Buying a 04 car back in 2004 for 8k I'd say you were doing alright but I can't even imagine how you racked up 50% of the car's value in interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If I'd been driving a Corsa for 7 years I'd be going a bit crazy too. cut the OP some slack :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

BRING IT BACK AND ASK, NO DEMAND A REFUND
    ITS YOUR INANIABLE RIGHT

seriously tho be thankful you didnt buy a house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Whats it worth now id be worried about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The OP has another thread open regarding the removal of paint splashes as he is preparing to sell the Corsa , I think we can take it his question is genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Ensti

I know, I know. I bought it 7 years ago. Just thinking now, in the past year or so its gone rubbish...!! Had a lot of problems, head gasket, burning LOTS of oil etc.

I got it on finance and the grand total came to €12K.....€12K!!!!!!!!! No, 7 years later I'm selling for €1700..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

oh, by the bye,
    did you hear that brian left westlife?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

How did you get it so cheap??? Paid 14165 for a new toyota yaris in 2000, so how did you get the same class of car even if it was under a year old for just 8k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

12k for a Corsa...you lunatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

???????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Different times, different world back then but anyway, if you were happy with the payments at the time, that is all that matters really. It was never really going to be worth anything at 7 years old anyway. I dont know why you are worrying now. Even counting the interest, it has cost you 1500 per year. This sounds reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Were you ripped off? Who knows. Only you can decide that. Presuming you serviced your car regularly and all that jazz consider taking into account all the times it's been useful when getting a taxi used to be your only option or getting to a friends house that was out of the way and also the fact that it was easier to park than a large saloon in general... If you got 7 years out of it and can walk away out of debt and now with (hopefully) 1700euro to your name when you sell it... Are you really getting ripped off now? Also, it's a life lesson. Be happy this one only took 7 years to learn. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I know, I know. I bought it 7 years ago. Just thinking now, in the past year or so its gone rubbish...!! Had a lot of problems, head gasket, burning LOTS of oil etc.

I got it on finance and the grand total came to €12K.....€12K!!!!!!!!! No, 7 years later I'm selling for €1700..!!

Forget the finance , that went to the bank , not the car.

€8000 - €1700 = €6300 / 7 years = €900

So the car cost you €900 a year, which is nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seriously wondering if that 70c I paid for a Crunchie in 2005 was a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, you bought a Corsa. What did you expect, reliability? You got a reasonably good deal but you didn't research the car before you bought it. HG and oil burning are common issues on those cars and since the Corsa C came out in 2001 those problems would've been well known in 2004. Research your large purchases in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

God...the way the question is phrased - 'Was I ripped off?' says everything about the Sindo blame culture prevalent in this country today.

You were an adult. You knowingly entered into a contract. It seems to be an inordinately high level of interest but you should have done your sums. No-one put a gun to your head so suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I doubt the cash price in 2004 for a (used) 04 Corsa was 8,000?

I think you paid quite a high rate of interest for a loan of 8000 but I don't think you've provided all the information- was this part of a trade in deal, did you put down a deposit for the car separate to the 8k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seriously wondering if that 70c I paid for a Crunchie in 2005 was a scam.

70c, man you was rippppppeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddoff, should have got a moro...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lomb wrote: »
    How did you get it so cheap??? Paid 14165 for a new toyota yaris in 2000, so how did you get the same class of car even if it was under a year old for just 8k?

14k pounds or euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This thread is a combination of stupid and pointless. I'm not sure if the OP is trolling.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement