Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freestanding/fitted cooker advice

Options
  • 04-09-2011 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for a cooker and a place that sells, doesn't necessarily have to be DID/Currys, prefer in Ireland really.

Already connected for natural gas and use a gas hob now, would like the oven/grill to be gas if possible also. I like the size of the more modern range type freestanding cookers, but dislike how freestanding cookers fit into a kitchen and the worktop, as think food particles and dirt can always find their way into the space between the worktop and cooker over time no matter how clean you keep it.

Do any oven/grills come like the freestanding types (ie wide and with separate oven/grill compartments) but that are fitted??

recommendations/sites anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Here's a few on the GasCompany website- they're based in Capel St in Dublin

http://www.thegascompany.ie/iopen24/gas-ovens-c-1485_1195.html

So if I get you right, you want your Gas Hob on top of the counter (fitted) with a built-in oven (gas) underneath?

Otherwise, you're into the range type ones? again, the Gascompany have these.

http://www.thegascompany.ie/iopen24/range-cooker-rc9021-90cm-wide-electric-ovens-p-966955.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Yes, thats correct, I like a fitted hob and cooker look as I think it looks neater/doesnt break up the worktop/cleanliness.
    but I like the options (seperate oven/s and grill) in the range type/freestanding ones that are bigger than 60cm wide, think they are about 100cm wide minimum.

I wouldnt plan on going for a really expensive one (eg genuine aga), have seen some freestanding ones in power city including some on sale

BUT they seem to have electric ovens and gas hob where I would like the oven to be gas aswell if thats possible.

Thanks for the info re thegascompany.ie

I might be asking for something that doesnt exist or maybe is outside what I could pay, I'll check their website.
    If anyone else has names of other places that'd be good, I dont expect Power City or DID to stock what I'm looking for.

I suppose what Im asking is can I get a range type fitted oven, that is gas fueled, has a multipurpose double oven or two ovens and a possibly a separate grill that is about 90 to 110 cm wide as fitted gas hobs are available

The fitted ones on the gascompany.ie seem ok, very modern looking.
    I was hoping there would be a wider one available than the normal 60cm's, ie with 2 ovens like a range type and a separate grill.

I guess I just never liked the electric oven for some reason, we had a bottled gas cooker years ago and the grill/oven and hob were all gas, I've had a gas hob all along.

I'm partly thinking about cost of operation as gas is cheaper by the kw but also I think they might be better for cooking/baking etc sounds odd but I have it in my head thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Merch wrote: »
    I'm partly thinking about cost of operation as gas is cheaper by the kw but also I think they might be better for cooking/baking etc sounds odd but I have it in my head thats the case

Modern electric fan ovens give you a lot more options in terms of heat sources than a gas oven. A lot of them have heating elements top and bottom as well as the heating element for the hot air circulated by the fan. This give you the option of heating from above and/or below with or without circulating hot air.

If I was you I'd stick with gas for the hob but buy an electric fan oven.

coylemj wrote: »
    Modern electric fan ovens give you a lot more options in terms of heat sources than a gas oven. A lot of them have heating elements top and bottom as well as the heating element for the hot air circulated by the fan. This give you the option of heating from above and/or below with or without circulating hot air.

If I was you I'd stick with gas for the hob but buy an electric fan oven.

Ok, do gas ovens have an efficiency rating A, AA etc like electric appliances so they can be compared like for like with electric equivalents?

The only other possibility I'd considered was an induction hob for efficiency but also as told they dont heat up, i still think I'd prefer a gas hob.

Anyh ideas what is the cheapest cost to get a gas gob or oven fitted?
    I know that work needs to be done by reg/certified person
    even though we used to change the gas bottles and cut and replaced the hose when it frayed as kids and the house never blew up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Merch wrote: »

The only other possibility I'd considered was an induction hob for efficiency but also as told they dont heat up, i still think I'd prefer a gas hob.

TBH Merch, Gas Hob with Electric Oven is the way to go if at all possible- Electric ovens have so many features over gas ones. You could get a double oven if you were able to mount it one on top of the other- though maybe your kitchen isn't suitable for that- but seriously, a good Electric Oven (Neff/Bosh etc) far exceeds the Gas these days.

My oven is knackered, so I thought I'd look into getting the best possible (efficiency, value and functionality, but that is still affordable for me).

Ok, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hey Merch there is such thing. You're just looking for an all gas range style cooker. What actual size gap have you? Is it a range style you're after? You can get gas in 80,90,100,110 cm in range style

Yes but I dont want it in a feestanding range style

I'd like the oven/s grill that come with a range but which come in a fitted form
    then i can fit a gas hob.

ie imagine a range with the legs removed and no hob, that can be fitted like any other fitted oven

I like the options with a range cooker but dont like the freestanding look

I don't believe there is such a size. There is however such a thing as a built in double oven in gas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

http://www.smeguk.com/Catalogue/Product/S20XMF-7.aspx?SID=8917992

can't find the link for the gas version 90 cm built in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

I stand corrected. That smeg would cost some money

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Just wondering what ever came of this??

Am in a similar situation at the moment, would prefer to use Gas over Electric. Have a blank canvas to work with, currently have a free standing Gas Cooker but I would be better able to incorporate a Built in Cooker.

Have a link here

Any thoughts??

Advertisement