Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvard Referencing Query

Options
  • 04-09-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Thesis submission date is fast approaching - Aagh! (Breathe in, breathe out - phew!)

I am using Harvard for the first time in years because my supervisor says he prefers it and it's the most well known one for finding proper citation guides (I used it in first year of my undergrad but then we used footnotes system from then on)

I have a few tricky references thought that I can't seem to find a style sheet that mentions them.

I need to reference:
    1. Email correspondence
    2. A few papers from a conference that were then compiled in a book (There is no single editor credited in the book and so I'm not sure of the format: Someone, A. (2011). Name of their Paper. In: Someone, B. Conference 2011. Place of Publication: Publisher. I don't know who to put in the place of Someone, B.)
    3. A website (Is it the year it was created, the year it was last updated or the year you accessed the website?)
    4. A one off report by a particular organisation (I have a direct quote in from an introduction at the start by the Chairman of the committee, do I reference him and the page number or the committee itself? and is there any difference with in text for a report compared to a book?)

I really need help especially with the in text bit because the bibliography at the end is much the same in all systems but the in text bit of the Harvard method is very ropey for me. I would appreciate any recommendations of websites with comprehensive style sheets or books on the harvard method that I could get from the library that would be up to date enough to have these kinds of referencing material.

Also we used to do the intext with page number referencing like this: (Someone, C. 2011:13) but I've seen a few different ones such as (Someone, C. 2011, p. 13) and (Someone, C. 2011, 13). I'm not sure which is the proper way or if it matters?! I'm a bit of a perfectionist and can be very particular about referencing!

Many thanks in advance! :D

Good luck to anyone in the same boat and congrats to all those who have already handed theirs in and are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (Can't wait - can you tell?) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

First of all, congrats on getting this far!

To answer your questions:

1. Email correspondence - you reference this like the following:
    Bloggs, J. bloggs.j@bollox.net. Answer to your query. 04 September 2011.

That is, you put the name of the person who sent you the email (Bloggs, J.), then their email address, the subject line, and date sent.

2. A few papers from a conference that were then compiled in a book (There is no single editor credited in the book and so I'm not sure of the format: Someone, A. (2011). Name of their Paper. In: Someone, B. Conference 2011. Place of Publication: Publisher. I don't know who to put in the place of Someone, B.) - when not sure of the editor, it's best to try and google the paper as this may reveal the editor. If this cannot be found, try emailing the conference organiser. However, this has happened to me a few times and what I usually do, which is perfectly acceptable, is to put "editor unknown" down. This is more than acceptable, even with publication years ("year unknown" etc).

3. A website (Is it the year it was created, the year it was last updated or the year you accessed the website?) - the year you accessed. For example, the following website, http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/Spectrpy/nmr/nmr1.htm, would be referenced as:
    Bloggs, J.. (2011). Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Available: http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/Spectrpy/nmr/nmr1.htm. Last accessed 04 September 2011.[/UNQUOTE]

4. A one off report by a particular organisation (I have a direct quote in from an introduction at the start by the Chairman of the committee, do I reference him and the page number or the committee itself? and is there any difference with in text for a report compared to a book?) - I'm not entirely sure about this one, but to be honest the best thing to do would be to reference it as you would a book but make sure to implicitly mention that it's a conference.

By the way, there's a great tool available which is based on the Harvard system and builds references for you; all you have to do is punch in the info. Here it is: http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliography-creator/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gráfinn

Thanks so much!

You're a shtar!

:D

Advertisement