Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody help me choose a martial art?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I was thinking about doing muay thai or jeet kun do. Muay Thai is probably a bit out of my ability to start off with so does anybody know what would be a good martial art to do? I'd like to do JKD because it seems to cut all the bull and get straight to the point. BJJ sounds great but as far as I know it's mostly grappling and on the ground. I'm looking for standing and a mix.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 danoc

Also if there's a place in South Dublin as I live in d16. CHEERS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

danoc wrote: »
    Hi,

I was thinking about doing muay thai or jeet kun do. Muay Thai is probably a bit out of my ability to start off with so does anybody know what would be a good martial art to do? I'd like to do JKD because it seems to cut all the bull and get straight to the point. BJJ sounds great but as far as I know it's mostly grappling and on the ground. I'm looking for standing and a mix.

Thanks
    Don't know much about Jeet Kun Do. If your looking for something that incorporates striking and grappling, then a Mixed Martial Arts club fits your needs. Clubs are listed in the sticky on the MMA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

If your looking for standing and clinch then your better off just going straight for Muay Thai. Will save you having to re-learn how to kick if you do Thai from the start.

Chupasart are the closest gym to you I think

http://www.chupasart.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 danoc

Thanks to both of you. I see there's Wing Tsun classes on in city centre. It seems to be counter attacking and getting right into the attacks and dealing with bigger people. Does anybody know what this martial art is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

One of the the good things about martial arts, is that no one expects you to have any experience when you start. If you want to do mauy thai, just dive in and try it. Don't worry about your ability.

The other thing that a lot of people looking to start don't always consider is the availability of classes. Look around and see what's actually available close to you. If you're going to be training regularly, pick something that's on at a convenient time and location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also if there's a place in South Dublin as I live in d16. CHEERS :)

I'm also based in D16, and been looking at local (cycling range) options, and there isn't a huge amount in the immediate area. The ones I know of are as follows;

St Colmcilles school, Knocklyon has Karate, Kendo, Kickboxing and boxing on in the evenings on various nights. I do the boxing class with my daughter, which is all pad work and fitness no sparring but a decent workout. The Karate, which is on in the same hall, seems more practical than traditional with throws, locks and groundwork going whenever I look over. Nice crew whenever I've talked to them, sounds like they could be a good fit for you.

There's Shotokan Karate in Ballyroan community centre, don't know much else about it, but I'm guessing it's a traditional Shotokan syllabus.

There's also Silat in Firhouse, and probably more options heading towards Tallaght direction.

Heading towards town there's BJJ in Harlold's cross, and plenty of options if you go all the way into town.

I think there's a boxing club in whitechurch, and you also have Angels boxing club in Sandyford,

(n.b. for the mods, it would be great to get the clubs sticky onto a google map)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi

As mention in previous email there is silat in Firhouse, the classes is in the Community Center. Silat has a mix of Grappling and Striking, and our style of silat is gear towards developing the student then sticking to a very rigid form. The classes are informal and fun. We run Intro periods so you can try out for a few weeks without making any big commitment. Our focus is towards personal development and self defence and if you like more info, or have any question PM me or you can check out the website below.

Best of Luck with your search.

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Thanks to both of you. I see there's Wing Tsun classes on in city centre. It seems to be counter attacking and getting right into the attacks and dealing with bigger people. Does anybody know what this martial art is like?
    No offence to you but why not just give them a buzz drop down and see. Or I'm sure their demo's on Youtube of any art your interested in. It's a bit like dipping your toe into the water to see if it's warm enough, sooner or later you have to jump in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

HellsAngel wrote: »
    It's a bit like dipping your toe into the water to see if it's warm enough, sooner or later you have to jump in.

+1, even if it's bloody freezing, you're better in than out ;) Try out all the clubs that are near and any farther afield that you like the look of. Most clubs are very welcoming, and getting new people in the door is what keeps them going. As discussed elsewhere, I wouldn't get too caught up in what read about one style vs another.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

smacl wrote: »
    The Karate, which is on in the same hall, seems more practical than traditional with throws, locks and groundwork going whenever I look over. Nice crew whenever I've talked to them, sounds like they could be a good fit for you.

Those guys practice Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu...

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/

Give Troy, Martin or Seb a shout, I'm sure they will make you very welcome.

www.ku-dublin.com is their site, contact details are on the site.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

You could consider Bujinkan - a Japanese martial art with strikes, grappling, ground, standing, weapons etc. Plenty of clubs in Dublin City @ www.bujinkan.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Hi,

Thanks

There's a good argument to be made that MMA is the 'true' incarnation of Lee's JKD-it was never initially meant to be a defined style or teachable system as such, rather a set of high percentage techniques from different arts that the practitioner melded into a personal style of fighting. Apparently back in Lee's day there wasn't a lot of crosstraining.

On that note I'd say an MMA gym or Muay Thai would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Hi Danoc,

I teach Wing Tsun in Blanchardstown and we are a sister club of the City Centre school which is where I originally trained. The school is run by Sifu Aidan Canavan who has been teaching Wing Tsun since about 1987. He has a good team of City Centre instructors and provides instructor training every week as well as student classes. Even though Aidan has trained students up to Primary/Blackbelt level, he has his own teacher and remains a student to this day. You should try a few classes and see what you think. Everyone is nice and there is a good athmosphere. If you have any further questions give me a shout on 086 3989345 or info@wingtsun.ie

Regards,

Michael

Advertisement