Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you drink when out?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what would others would drink if they were to go out on a night out, or just in a setting where there are others drinking?

I preferably go for coke if its in a nightclub as the sugar will give me a little more energy than a pint of water, that i would probably have with a meal or whatever.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Generally a mineral, yeah, can start to wear a bit thin. Don't drink minerals at home, however...a fair bit of water during the day, often forget where my cup is and I'll have a few scattered around the place. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Diet Coke, Club Lemon, pint of rock shandy, water.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I'm still experimenting but the latest is cranberry and soda which I like because its not too sweet, its good for you and there's plenty of it. I started off on diet coke but find it very bloating. I also am partial to orange juice, water, bitter lemon/club lemon.

I tried Lucozade once but it was waaay too sweet, I couldn't even finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

After trying the various minerals I now just get water with ice & lemon,That does it for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bestofthewest

Mi wadi usually does the job for me and its free in most places!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

hubba wrote: »
    I'm still experimenting but the latest is cranberry and soda

Soda as in 7up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is water cheaper than soft drinks when out and about?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

CMpunked wrote: »
    Soda as in 7up?

Soda water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Tonic water with a slice of lemon. I can only drink three of them before I get bored and have to go home though.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some places have the gun [is that the term?] so I get a pint of soda water and lime

Generally around a euro, sometimes it's free

If not, I like a Rock Shandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

I drink Cranberry and Tonic, a very refreshing combination, too dear though. Otherwise, I might sometimes have an (Almost) non-alcoholic beer. The sugar in the beer is enough to keep me out for a few hours, although I'll only have 2 or 3 max. I've been sober nearly 6 years, and I needed to be years away from gargle to even contemplate drinking anything that remotely looked like an alcoholic beverage.

The danger would be "sure I might as well have a real one". But, I know the effects of drinking a real one, and then another one, and then some shots, and then anything else after that is fair game etc..

In early sobriety, I had to always be thinking about the possible outcomes that would arise, from me going on the rip; that would pretty much stop me in my tracks. I also knew people who didn't drink either, to either hang out with or phone, if I started climbing the walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Cidona (not many places have it, but my local does :D), diet 7up, red lemonade...

And if there's pre-drinks and I thought it was gonna be a long night, green Monster or red BMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I seem to never learn! I was out last night until 4am. I had 3 club oranges and around 6 orange juices. I woke up today with a pounding headache... So weird. I better not tell this to my mates who drink or they will think I'm mad! This shows there must be some amount of crap in these soft drinks. I better stick to water the next time :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

water or diet coke

once in a while some cordial, but they charge a fair bit for it so it's not always worth it. though it probably does work out better than the diet coke...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭black & white

Pint glass with ice and lemon, bottle of sparkling water and a splash of blackcurrant. Lovely jubbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Club Orange!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Pint of ice water with a few wedges of citrus fruit. Always squeeze them into the water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aiseiri47

I'm not a social drinker by any means, so I find it very hard to drink anything because instead of sipping at it and chatting, I just down the whole lot in one go!

Because of this, and the fact I don't usually drink minerals anyway, I tend to go with water. Often someone will be off to get rounds and they'll bully me into getting something more interesting (you'd think I was drinking water to save them money or something) so I'll agree to have a 7up or orange.

Forget about Cidona, it's great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

A coke or a coffee.

I will often go somewhere that have a good desert like chocolate brownie n ice cream cos I like chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

I'm not technically a non-drinker but thinking about it at the moment. My drink for when I'm not drinking is 7up free or lemonade with a bit of blackcurrant. It's so nice... kinda like a cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

I seem to never learn! I was out last night until 4am. I had 3 club oranges and around 6 orange juices. I woke up today with a pounding headache... So weird. I better not tell this to my mates who drink or they will think I'm mad! This shows there must be some amount of crap in these soft drinks. I better stick to water the next time :-)
    Same here!! And not to mention a kind of sticky mouth sensation for most of the evening. The suggestion of 'water + flavour' sounds much more interesting, will try that next time I'm out. thank you everybody for posting, needed some more ideas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Pints of Mi Wadi blackcurrant & ice, might have a red bull after an hour or so just to perk up the energy levels if I'm planning staying out for a while.

I find I still drink the same volume now compared to before I gave up the lush. So I stay away from minerals (too much sugar) and go pint for pint with the guys with me on the blackcurrant or whatever dilute is available.

Never sleep in too late in the morning after consuming that amount of water though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭allovertheshop

I find when i'm out i'll usually get a sparkling water with a dash of lime or blackcurrant, mostly lime.

And another little trick is to ask for it in a slim jim glass, the same type of glass that a short would be served in, rather than a half pint glass. This avoids all the drinkers from asking the usual questions "why don't you drink, why are you not drinking tonight" etc. because for all they know, it could be vodka! I just do this because i get really fed up trying to explain myself to others!

I've never tried drinking non-alcoholic beer, does it help to keep you awake longer on a night out? I always find that i get tired long before my drinking friends

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I used to go mad for coke on a night out, but I too learnt that too much is not agreeable. Coffee or water will do me just fine :)

Advertisement