Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete N00b needs guidance/help (SF III)

Options
  • 04-09-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

So I've played Street Fighter games since SF II. BUT I doubt I've spent more than an hour with any of them. I've played them all I'd say but am rubbish at them all.

I just got Third Strike and LOVE it. I am however getting my ass handed to me and am stuck on Rank 1 (80).

WHERE do I start to learn this game ? Really lost as to what character to play as or even what to practise. I can parry projectiles but cannot for the life of me perform a cancel. AM I getting ahead of myself even trying these ?

Should I just be looking to be able to perform basic moves with proficiency ?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

This will get you started, best beginners video out there for 3s

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

brianon wrote: »
    So I've played Street Fighter games since SF II. BUT I doubt I've spent more than an hour with any of them. I've played them all I'd say but am rubbish at them all.

I just got Third Strike and LOVE it. I am however getting my ass handed to me and am stuck on Rank 1 (80).

WHERE do I start to learn this game ? Really lost as to what character to play as or even what to practise. I can parry projectiles but cannot for the life of me perform a cancel. AM I getting ahead of myself even trying these ?

Should I just be looking to be able to perform basic moves with proficiency ?

Any help appreciated.

I'll give you the advice that was given to me (that I completely ignored but I'd have alot of experience :) ) in that you should probably start with Ryu or Ken if you've played Street Fighter before. Fundamentally they're the same as they ever were and Ken is pretty near top tier from what I hear.

You say you can't perform a cancel- that's intruiging to me as cancelling is no harder in 3S than any other SF game. Do you have any idea what the problem is? Or do you mean super cancel?

Regardless, you should hit the training room til you get the correct rythm for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I'll give you the advice that was given to me (that I completely ignored but I'd have alot of experience :) ) in that you should probably start with Ryu or Ken if you've played Street Fighter before. Fundamentally they're the same as they ever were and Ken is pretty near top tier from what I hear.

You say you can't perform a cancel- that's intruiging to me as cancelling is no harder in 3S than any other SF game. Do you have any idea what the problem is? Or do you mean super cancel?

Regardless, you should hit the training room til you get the correct rythm for that.

Remember where I said I was a n00b ? :) I didn't even know of the cancel technique until I was reading up on SFIII in the last few days.

Not sure I fully understand what it is. But lets take one I've been trying and failing with.

D, DF, F + P (Hadouken - So I can do this (about 75% of the time - that's bad)

D, DF, F, D, DF, F + P (Shouryuu-Reppa)

Isn't it correct that you can cancel a Hadouken into a Super like Shouryuu-Reppa with correct timing ?

So...D, DF, F + P, D, DF, F + P with correct timing gives you a Hadouken cancelled into a Super.

I've tried this over and over and can't get it. I've tried it in training with the super meter on infinite.

I am using the mad catz street fighter IV tournament stick. I REALLY am a n00b at these games.
    J0hnick wrote: »
    This will get you started, best beginners video out there for 3s

Thanks. I've seen this but I think my problem (for the super cancel) is that my speed isn't up to scratch.

Is there a way to turn on inputs so I can see what directions/buttons I am actually hitting ?
    I have Super SFIV Arcade also if that has inputs I can use for practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You don't have to do the two quarter circles particularly fast, but they do have to be accurate, making sure to end the motion at towards. Piano across the punch buttons when doing the super to give you a higher chance of getting the button press at the correct time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

brianon wrote: »
    Remember where I said I was a n00b ? :) I didn't even know of the cancel technique until I was reading up on SFIII in the last few days.

Not sure I fully understand what it is. But lets take one I've been trying and failing with.

D, DF, F + P (Hadouken - So I can do this (about 75% of the time - that's bad)

D, DF, F, D, DF, F + P (Shouryuu-Reppa)

Isn't it correct that you can cancel a Hadouken into a Super like Shouryuu-Reppa with correct timing ?

So...D, DF, F + P, D, DF, F + P with correct timing gives you a Hadouken cancelled into a Super.

I've tried this over and over and can't get it. I've tried it in training with the super meter on infinite.

I am using the mad catz street fighter IV tournament stick. I REALLY am a n00b at these games.

Thanks. I've seen this but I think my problem (for the super cancel) is that my speed isn't up to scratch.

Is there a way to turn on inputs so I can see what directions/buttons I am actually hitting ?
    I have Super SFIV Arcade also if that has inputs I can use for practise.

Ok, there's no need to apologise for being a noob :) I wasn't trying to be nasty, just get to the route of your problem.

You're new and your execution isn't up to scratch which is ok.

If you're only getting hadokens 75% of the time, I would sit in practice til you can hit them20 times in a row. you'll find a natural rythm to it after a while and it'll be muscle memory.

Of course then you'll have to get that active in live matches.

What you are talking about there is a super cancel. It's cancelling a special move INTO a super. I would not worry about that until you have gotten your execution a little better. When you've got the hadoken down pat, I would then learn cancelling a normal into a special move ( try down + medium kick, DF, F +P and you will cancel a medium low kick into a hadoken, a useful trick in all SF games). Visually the medium kick will end as soon as it connects and a fireball will then come out.

These things are tough at first but the more precise you become at one thing, the better you'll become over all (I learned stuff in 3S in days that would have taken weeks if I'd tried them a couple of years ago).

EDIT: I can't see inputs in 3S myself :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

You should send kiki a message, he's probably the best sf3 player in Ireland and he's great at giving tips and advice on how to improve. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You should send kiki a message, he's probably the best sf3 player in Ireland and he's great at giving tips and advice on how to improve. :)
    ... not sure if sarcasm <_<

Anyway, I made a thread for learning SFIII here.
    Ask away.

Advertisement