Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball spotted Sep 3rd pm, to the west from Limerick.

Options
  • 03-09-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I was outside this evening at about 20.30 or so taking a 5 minute break from the office. I spotted a nice fireball pretty much due west from about 30 degrees up to 5 degrees up, nice bright green/white in colour , decent trail left behind and it was being dimmed by some high level clouds. Not hugely fast, maybe 2-3 sec to drop 25 degrees. No end flash that I saw but it had dropped behind trees. Brightness? Hard to determine with dusk, but i'd say a magnitude between -5 and -7 or so.

Not much point in searching for a meteorite as it would have most likely landed out in the atlantic..

Second one I've seen now in recent times.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

I saw this too. I'm in the southwest corner of county Limerick, it was to the southwest of my position, travelling almost perpendicular to the horizon. There was no cloud cover at the time so it seemed exceptionally bright to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Bards

Saw this too, was driving from Dublin and saw it somewhere between Carlow and Kilkenny on the m9, was to the south west at around this time, moving quiet fast

Advertisement