Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal to record car conversation of other people?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all

I heard of a guy who put a recorder in his wife's car just before she took her parents for a drive. He didn't tell any of them until after the fact. It was a personal discussion and included their finances and investments.

Is he allowed to do that? What do you think are the wife and in-laws options?

Thanks,
    Em

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

She can file for a legal seperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    She can file for a legal seperation.

Based specifically on the fact that he recorded them? :confused:

Would this be sufficient cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Based specifically on the fact that he recorded them? :confused:

Would this be sufficient cause?

It was obviously a smart comment...

To the OP, there is nothing that this person can do about it. It's not a legal matter. It goes to the obvious lack of trust between this couple, hence Seanbeag's post about separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Anonymous TV show exists; that should be sufficient to let you know that laws do not generally preclude the recording of private conversations. Attaching recording equipment to a telecommunications device can e another matter, although I think permissible by one of the parties. The use of such recordings as evidence may be subject to restrictions but recording acts which have no inherent assumption of privacy is unlikely to contravene any law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi all

I heard of a guy who put a recorder in his wife's car just before she took her parents for a drive. He didn't tell any of them until after the fact. It was a personal discussion and included their finances and investments.

Is he allowed to do that? What do you think are the wife and in-laws options?

Thanks,
    Em
    i would not trust him now if i were his partner, he is just a sneak, lowest of the low

• Advertisement
Advertisement