Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre tread depth and NCT

Options
  • 03-09-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I had my car's annual service & pre-NCT check done last week. It's it's first NCT. The garage told me that 3 of the tyres' tread depths are now down to 3mm, 4mm and 4mm respectively, and advised me to at least change the 3mm before the NCT.

Since then, my NCT has been moved forward by 3 weeks and is now this Monday. I do intend changing these tyres soon but I won't get it done before then. Will I pass with these tyres? My understanding is the legal tread depth limit is 1.6mm?

N.B. I'm not looking for a discussion on safety, I am going to change the tyres this month, just not this weekend!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Safety limit it 3mm, legal limit is 1.6mm

If you have any tyres below 3mm but above 1.6 you will get an advisory from the nct but will still pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Seen a car last week that passed the nct, 2 weeks ago, centre tyre thread depth 3mm, outer edge of tyre BALD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

beam99 wrote: »
    Seen a car last week that passed the nct, 2 weeks ago, centre tyre thread depth 3mm, outer edge of tyre BALD.

Because 1.6mm thread for NCT purporses must be only in 3/4 middle part of tyre.
    Edges are not checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

CiniO wrote: »
    Because 1.6mm thread for NCT purporses must be only in 3/4 middle part of tyre.
    Edges are not checked.

Completely true, but so ridiculous its mind boggling:rolleyes:

I wonder would we cross a bridge knowing that 3/4 of it was safe!!

Advertisement