Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average tank size

Options
  • 03-09-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I am conducting a survey on the size of fish tanks to research energy usage,
    would you mind posting the size of your tank in litres as I am looking to calculate an average tank size.
    Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

It's miserable the size of tiny tanks for sale and the COST even with a motor filter is terrible on parents who want one for the kids.HERE IS THE ALTERNATIVE:There are shops that sell a lot of kitchen and plastic basins and stuff.BIG transparent storage boxes f o r a fraction of the price.Buy the filter seperately and save a fortune.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mine is 400l and probably costs about €50 pf electricity every 2 Montserrat. Less in the summer more in the winter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

i have 2 180 litre tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

only keeping fish a while so only have a 100L tank atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

350 ltr with Dual T5s ,Dual Airpumps , External Filter ,Large Heating Bar and Moon Spots

Adds abot 30 Euros to my Bill every 2 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

54l temperate saltwater with native invertebrates (shrimps, prawns, hermit crabs and a few anmones). No heater, just one 18W T5, a small (3W) motor filter and 6W wave maker for a few hours a day. Should cost less than two euros a month in energy and all the stuff inside is free. I don't keep fish though and all animals go back to the sea unharmed after just a couple of days to a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I have a 400l, a 350l and a 275l. roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I have a 180l

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An 100l tank running a filter, light for 8 hours a day and a small air pump.

An 180l tank running an internal filter, an external filter, another light for 8 hours a day and a 200w heater.

And I'm picking up another 60l tank next week.

(don't want to see my next leccy bill tbh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

180L with internal filter
    2 T5 lights and set to 27 degree C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

Ive got a 450 liter tank with cichlids and a 56 liter that I dont use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My current setup is 500 litre tank with Discuss,chain loach,bristle nose plecs and cardinals.

Eihem 600 litre external filter
    Pro-Flora digital CO2 injection kit with bigger 5kg CO2 tank.
    Large T5 light setup on timer system,as is the Co2 system on a timer too.
    2 x 300W Elite heaters.

The lights and digital C02 system are on for 10 hours each day.
    Water temp is a constant 29 C,thanks to 2 x 300w heaters.

Energy consumption is averaging 16 euro a month.Not too bad so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

paddy have you measured it at 16euro per month? If so thats not as bad as i had feared!!!

I have 2 tanks, 190l and 450l

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

2 x 25L

110L

350L

Setting up a 120L at the moment.

ESB bill up 40%.

fungun wrote: »
    paddy have you measured it at 16euro per month? If so thats not as bad as i had feared!!!

Yep,my girlfriend (who set the entire tank and system up) has done a detailed calculation and measurement.I was and am very energy consious.I like effiecency.

16 euro a month.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

At a temp of 29 degrees I doubt it adds €16 a month based on my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

but also remember that the heat in to the tank does essentially end up heating the room also. 640 litres of warm water in a room helps in winter.....at least thats my story and im sticking to it!!!!

"Think of what we are *saving* on the heating bill, darling" :pac:

but also remember that the heat in to the tank does essentially end up heating the room also. 640 litres of warm water in a room helps in winter.....at least thats my story and im sticking to it!!!!

"Think of what we are *saving* on the heating bill, darling" :pac:

Heating water isn't efficient way to heat a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

Started on 10 litre, then 45, now 180 ;o)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74347494&postcount=122

godtabh wrote: »
    Heating water isn't efficient way to heat a room!

My house is allmost passive at this stage,due to gutting it and insulating the fcuk out of it and going for a large stove and solar system.

My girlfriend has turned off the 2nd tank heater,as the heat in the house alone is maintaining the tank temp at 29 degrees C.

We havent had any heating on for over a week now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement