Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC

Options
  • 03-09-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I'm moving over to London on the 18th of September to do a Master's and I won't know anyone over there, at least for a few weeks until I get to know some classmates. Was wondering where do London boardsies go to watch the Irish rugby games and is the atmosphere welcoming to the solo punter? Irish bars are ok too, I have no compunction against being a stereotypical Paddy for the duration of the WC!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They're all going to be on at about 7.30am aren't they? Not sure if there'll be too many options. But it should mean that the few pubs that are showing the games on will have a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

Yeah most kick-offs are at 6.00am and 7.30am which makes it really difficult. At home I'd just record them but I'll be living in student accomodation and can't imagine they have Sky Plus as standard! But when I get over there I'll keep an eye out for pubs advertising the games, true that it'll benefit the atmosphere, can even get a fry in while watching the game.

Where abouts will you be staying? I'll be looking for somewhere decent for the Ireland - Italy game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

I'm staying on Great Dover Street close to Borough or Elephant & Castle tube stations (it's just south of the river, dunno how well you know London but for me it's not at all, have to look everywhere up on a map!). By the Italy game I should've found somewhere nice to go see the matches, I'll PM you about it closer to the time if you want? Let's just hope what's to come is better than the America match!

Might try the Avalon in Clapham Common for the Australia game. I fly back to Ireland later that day so can't wander too far from home.

Waxys and O'Neils in Leicester Square would be safe options but very central.

This place is in Borough and involves advanced ticket purchase. Might be a good option. £15 for guaranteed seat and breakfast.

http://www.roxybarandscreen.com/listings.php?type=Rugby+World+Cup+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Watched the Aussie game in Mustard bar next to St Pauls. It's the Munster Supporters Club venue for the season but don't let that put you off.

There was about 30 or so of us there, we had a discount at the bar and a free shot at the end to calm the nerves :D.

Breakfasts looked decent and we got free tapas after the game ended too. Not going there for Russia (6am :eek: ) but might go back for Italy game

Both quarter final slots are 6.00am too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I live around the corner from you in the Jam Factory. I really wouldn't bother going to the Roxy to watch the games. IN the UK, they're on ITV1 and ITV4 which are all free to air channels. The Market Porter up in Borough MArket still has an early license and definitely has some TVs. If not, the next nearest set of pubs with early licenses are over in Smithfield Market. The easiest way there is to walk out of your halls of residence, turn left and walk to the Bricklayers Arms roundabout. The 63 bus northbound will drop you on the edge of the market (half way up Farringdon Road). Now I bet you never expected such specific instructions.

Advertisement