Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "my fisrt tournament" thread

Options
  • 03-09-2011 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

G4X had an event in Waterford, SSF4:AE, MK9 and Tekken 6 were there as well as non fighting games like Halo and Fifa. Ive lost count of the amount of times people have asked me online if I was going to Inferno, DOC or Tempest only for me to come up with an excuse. Seeing as this event was in my home town and it was 2 minutes from my house, I had no excuse, so I decided to log out of X-Box live and go play some real people.

Result ?, I came 2nd, didn't lose a single round until the finals when I lost to a Blanka player. If this tournament was anything to go by then anyone who is scared of going to a tournament in case they get blown up is definitely wrong, there was a ton of flowchart shotos who acted like they were godlike, but ended up getting exposed when they played somebody decent. Met some really cool people to, people who I knew to see around town but hadn't a clue they played fighting games.

Had a great laugh, my only gripe was it was best of 5 rounds single elim, I remember being 2 rounds down in the final thinking "should have picked my alt" but the organizers said it was down to time constraints and would push for double elim next time.

Only time I was nervous was during my first game of the night (a casual game which Im glad I had as it broke the ice) and in the finals, when I was admittedly sh*ting a brick, just have to chalk it up to lack of experience though. Told the Girlfriend on the phone I came 2nd, she said "that's great, you must be delighted ?". My arse, Im salty as f***, I really wanted to win it and will definitely be hitting the training mode more often after this.

End of rant, and shout outs to the organizers who donated 10% of the profits for the event to crumlin hospital :),

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Haha good read :) Congrats on doing so well.

I'm sorta in the same boat myself sept i'm going mad to head up to a tournament the last month and a half, i finally came to realize that playing randoms online is not useful for "leveling up" because learning how to defeat bad players at the start teaches you bad tactics :pac: But every time one's been on there's been some crap in the way, like my gf's birthday. Bloody cheek of her, having her birthday on the same day as Inferno :P

Btw i never saw that Waterford tournament anywhere on the forums (granted i could've missed it) was it just advertised around the town or something? Woulda gone as i'm only 45 mins away by bus, will there be more ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

always great to hear these. I was the same. Only thing I ever did tournies at was college/cons and thought I was gdlk. . . . . .then I went to the evo qualifer. . . . . . and fought DOOM first. Lets say it was not an eye opener. Now I have upped my game and learned the dam games. I do combos now, ACTUAL COMBOS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Aeonfusion: It was heavily advertised around town alright, but other then the facebook/twitter pages nobody who plays fighting games outside Waterford would have known. However there were a lot of people from outside Waterford there for Black Ops, Halo and Fifa, those communities were told and the prizes were much bigger. For example, the guy who won Street Fighter got a PS3 Bluetooth Headset and Keyboard, the guys who won Fifa and Black Ops won actual PS3's.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

J0hnick wrote: »
    nobody who plays fighting games outside Waterford would have known. However there were a lot of people from outside Waterford there for Black Ops, Halo and Fifa

The concept of FPS tournamnets on console still greatly confuses me :rolleyes: Ah good old PC gamer syndrome :P

You should definatly let people on here know next time though, i can't see like 50 extra people showing up but i'm sure a few people around the south east would show up that otherwise wouldn't. More people + more hype = more fun and after a while probably better prizes too.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Shoulda let the forum know, I'm sure there'd have been a few people interested in travelling down and spreading the randomselect.ie word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

They kept this quiet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

bush wrote: »
    They kept this quiet anyway

I think it's more that the site that ran it is decently new, and seems to be primarily shooters.

I just heard about it last night when that Blanka player that won the tournaments sent me a text after he won. XD I think he was at one of the first Infernos back in the day.
    I mentioned on their Facebook event page that if they let us know about it next time we'll hook them up with some more players. Sounds like it was a good event anyways.
    I'll definitely try and make it to the next one.

Note to all you MK9 players out there, MK had more numbers and went on for longer then SSF4:AE and Tekken, so might wanna keep that in mind (seems Waterford has a decent MK scene).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Note to all you MK9 players out there, MK had more numbers and went on for longer then SSF4:AE and Tekken, so might wanna keep that in mind (seems Waterford has a decent MK scene).

mk more than sf??? im moving to waterford so
    hmmm intresting, i would of gone if known about this,
    if anyone knows mk is being played some where in ireland i want the 1man3letters singal in the sky :rolleyes: or a pm haha

Sairus wrote: »
    I just heard about it last night when that Blanka player that won the tournaments sent me a text after he won.

Yea, not to take anything away from him but its a brutal matchup for Guy, electricity shuts down most of what Guy can do after a knock down which is one of his biggest strengths. If it was double elim I could have switched to my alt, I was sh*ttin a brick though in the finals, fell for some basic X-Box live stuff in the first round like jab ball into throw at the start of the round.

Im old school and in my 30's, and everyone in the town think I'm the best person in town at SF since SF2 back when we still had arcades (maybe up untill 2007 I was, but for SF4 they obviously don't know about Araforn), whole place was cheering me on and It was actually detrimental. I felt like I had to live up to all this Hype and it just made me more nervous, still only way to get used to the jitters is to keep getting back in there.
    mk more than sf??? im moving to waterford so
    hmmm intresting, i would of gone if known about this,

I didn't know meself till last night, was fairly surprised, ermac mirror match in the finals was pretty hype to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Yea, not to take anything away from him but its a brutal matchup for Guy

No its not :pac:

bush wrote: »
    No its not :pac:

I guess that means I can rely on you for matchup experience ? :pac:, I could do with it.

Seriously, it was hard in Super, but other then Blanka Balls being more easily punished in AE it hasn't gotten much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I'd heard about this (though only mk was mentioned fighting game wise) and was trying to get more info about it, but without much luck...

Didn't realise it was this sat.... would have put something up about it had I, but the date misunderstanding is my fault.

sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

Aeonfusion: It was heavily advertised around town alright, but other then the Facebook/twitter pages nobody who plays fighting games outside Waterford would have known. However there were a lot of people from outside Waterford there for Black Ops, Halo and Fifa, those communities were told and the prizes were much bigger. For example, the guy who won Street Fighter got a PS3 Bluetooth Headset and Keyboard, the guys who won Fifa and Black Ops won actual PS3's.

Hi, I would like to point out the prizes were not bigger. The winners of the normal Fifa and Halo tournaments won 20Euro Game Stop vouchers.

The PS3 was won after the grand final took place, in which 16 people took part: Round one was MK, Round 2, 3 and 4 were Marvel Vs Capcom and the finals(due to 2 halo players making it to the finals) was Halo reach as they were both happy to play it.

We ran 18 tournaments and 1 grand final, depending on you placement you earned points towards the leader boards, the top 16 at the end of the night gained entry to the grand final.

I will be passing a full report to John on exactly what went where and to who :)
    We also learned a lot from the gamers on the night, the best of 5 rounds is not what we wanted but running MK/Tekkan/SS4/Fifa/Halo/Black Ops and with limited TV/screens we were a little stuck for time and did not want to reduce the amount of Beat em up tournaments as it would be unfair for the gamers trying to earn points towards the grand finals.

We will fix this for the next event and will listen to all advise from the gaming community.

We only advertised on FB and around Waterford as this was our first event as a company we were testing the waters and as always it was a huge learning curve for us. We had 207+ gamers in attendance on the night.

We would really like to thank all who attended and showed the support.

Any questions please ask.

Regards,
    Mark Flanagan,
    Senior Online Manager,
    G4X

Hi, I would like to point out the prizes were not bigger. The winners of the normal Fifa and Halo tournaments won 20Euro Game Stop vouchers.

The PS3 was won after the grand final took place, in which 16 people took part: Round one was MK, Round 2, 3 and 4 were Marvel Vs Capcom

My bad, I was going be what other people told me on the night.

Also, you had MVC3 ? :eek:, where was Marvel ? (I so would have signed up)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Well I'm sickened I missed this one. I need to keep in touch with the FG community more often.
    I've been to a couple of infernos and I'd love to play in a tournament that I didtnt have to drive 2 hours to. Waterford is my home town and it'd be great to have some kind of community here.

If u post on here the next time your organizing one I'll be there with some friends who might play all of the other games too.
    If you need any help organizing the street fighter end of things next time I'll be happy to help out.

BanjoB wrote: »
    I'd love to play in a tournament that I didtnt have to drive 2 hours to. Waterford is my home town and it'd be great to have some kind of community here.

This, couldn't agree more man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

This was in Revolution yeah?
    I was sure it was going to be a Fifa tournament but I was to head in to see if Street Fighter had any turnout.

But I've been floored with the flu since Tuesday. So I ended up missing it.

I'm in Waterford and seriously would love to play some offline games/casuals. I've been meaning to head up to Dublin many times but its the fear that stops me :D (and the cost of petrol/hate of buses)

After reading the thread, I am seriously cracking I missed this. Plus the fact that 3 people have replied that they are from Waterford, and one is a fellow Guy player. Ah ffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

This, couldn't agree more man :)

If you build it, they will come....

Advertisement