Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your bike have service history?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Of course, this may spark the classic debate about home servicing etc but I'm asking the question straight out.

Does your bike have service history 23 votes

Full history. All receipts and stamps etc
    0% 0 votes
    Some- it has been home serviced by me/ previous owner
    34% 8 votes
    None, or effectively none. Maybe the odd receipt.
    65% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Full service history with mine but to be honest it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I was looking at a bike that didn't have a full history. A lot of people do their own servicing on their bikes because it's handy and cheaper so I think a good inspection of the bike will tell you more than a service history sometimes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

None at all. 12 month warranty from dealer. Only 8k km on the clock and a 05.

Not even a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've had old cars that have had FSH and there are vehicles I wouldn't buy without it. I had to get my head around the fact that a lot of older bikes often have little or none. I bought all of my four bikes on the basis that they had incomplete or non existant history.

I had a guy look at my 02 Busa today and cribbed at length about the lack of service history. I found myself having to explain myself and apologise for the lack of history. I believe that FSH on older bikes is just not a reasonable expectation on older Irish bikes. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mine is a BMW. So definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

yur a fairly green bike owner if ya ask for reciepts ,,tis probaly the same as asking when ya buy a new fone 2nd hand and asking is there weight loss with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

yur a fairly green bike owner if ya ask for reciepts ,,tis probaly the same as asking when ya buy a new fone 2nd hand and asking is there weight loss with that

This thread seems to be leaning towards ' I don't have a service history so no service history is fine'.

Even if u service at home you should be able to keep a history. Looking at bike can't tell you if the valve clearance is up to spec or if the oil was changed regularly. Sure the visual appearance is important but so is proof that a bike has been maintained and not being sold to avoid expensive maintenance.

Given identical bikes visually, it is only right that you will get less money for bike without history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

650Ginge wrote: »
    Given identical bikes visually, it is only right that you will get less money for bike without history.

I see your point but given that bikes in general have much lower anual milages than cars I wouldn't be inclined to pay a premium for one with a history, there are 10yr old bikes out there with less than 20k miles on them (genuine), even a bike that hasn't been serviced at all in that period would be in pretty good condition mechanically, or at least nothing a good service couldn't put right.

I do my own servicing, once a year as my mileage would be embarrassingly low :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No receipts but verifiable with 2 shops since new. I can't keep stuff like receipts without loosing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭gipi

My bike has been serviced by bike shops (I've used 2 shops), and I've never been given a receipt by either shop, so like Cuddlesworth, it would be up to either me or the next owner to verify servicing with the shop if needed.

I bought it without a service history - the previous owner used to service it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Like with cars I'm a big fan of having the bike fully serviced before taking it out on the road. I'm not too keen on the thing breaking down on me after potentially being lied to by previous seller regarding maintenance.

• Advertisement

Like with cars I'm a big fan of having the bike fully serviced before taking it out on the road. I'm not too keen on the thing breaking down on me after potentially being lied to by previous seller regarding maintenance.

Read up on it or do a maintenance course and you'll know whether or not you should be worrying, I wouldn't drive something I didn't understand and be aware of what could potentially go wrong, especially on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nope. Do it all meself and don't bother keeping notes of what I did. Sure it only takes a second to make up a note so wouldn't even bother asking anyone for service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

bladespin wrote: »
    but given that bikes in general have much lower anual milages than cars I wouldn't be inclined to pay a premium for one with a history, there are 10yr old bikes out there with less than 20k miles on them (genuine)

My current bike was bought new in June 2009.
    It now has 28 000 miles on the clock.
    That is probaby more than the average car would clock up in the same time.

BUT - it does have a full service history.

Even if you service your bike yourself, you can keep the receipts for the oil filter, air filter, oil, etc - and that could be your service history.

P.C. wrote: »

Even if you service your bike yourself, you can keep the receipts for the oil filter, air filter, oil, etc - and that could be your service history.

Not exactly typical mileage for a bike though, is it?

I keep receipts for everything I do but wouldn't put a whole lot of emphasis on it while buying. I have a 16 year old bike with the same mileage as yours :p It has no history from before I bought it but I know it's mechanically sound, regardless of how the previous owner looked after it (luckily in my case it was quite well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

18 year old bike and I couldn't even tell you how many owners it has had let alone what the service history is.

Your man I bought it off wasn't a muppet, bike is in decent enough order and I've looked after it and upgraded a few things since I got it.

If I was spending a few grand on a bike I'd probably be picky and ask a lot more questions but for a few hundred for a bike that goes and just needs a bit of cosmetic surgery i'm happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Last bike I bought. K2 gsxr 1000. Done the deal over text messege. All I seen was pictures. Sent mate with a van up to tipp to pick it up. Didn't see the bike till it was in me drive.
    Paid asking price.
    Bike was in better condition than I thought. Fair enough I was lucky but sure once she starts and runs grand then your sorted. Was kinda hoping I might have to do some little bits and bobs on it but nah, twas grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

If i was buying a bike thats under 3 or so years old i'd look for a service history to see if it has been looked after.. but my last two bikes were 10 years and 17 years old, there's too much history and too many owners to consider and more than likely the bikes had a hard life with at least one of the owners.

i found a video of my currect bike on youtube having the Bollox rev'd out of it buy some youngfella how makes little poser videos (i know it's my one because it had a very none standard colour scheme) but as long as it runs and feels right i dont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

Never had a bike that had a service history. I keep all receipts for oil, filters, chains, sprockets etc and keep receipts for any work done by a mechanic for the bigger problems if there are any.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

P.C. wrote: »

My bike had a full service history, gotta love the Brits, but I* do my own servicing so keep the receipts.

Irish bikes generally don't have service histories and it's only relatively recently that cars have started getting them, or maybe I was looking at too many cheap cars.

A service history is the easiest thing to fake so I look at the vehicle and seller more then a book.

I start and then my free mechanic takes over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

every bit helps specially when you spending big $$

non of bikes I got had any service history....maybe would be nice to have some paper work with bike like 996 ducati where belts needs to be done etc . depending on the mileage some newish bikes may not have first big service done anyway and older bikes would have problematic parts replaced already....e.g. tensioners , rectifiers .....

• Advertisement
Advertisement