Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief tuition fee change?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi ,

I did a Masters 2010/2011 and was just getting form sorted to send back to claim back my tax but from looking at the revenue on line system it appears to have changed. I thought that you were entitled to claim back 20% up to €5000 euro and was expecting a grand.

Now it seems that that the first €2000 of the claim is disregarded so does that mean the €5000 cap is gone then or is it still there and the most I can claim back €600?I paid close to €7000 in fees so it wont be so bad if they have lifted the cap.

Can anyone clarify this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

You'd probably do best by just ringing your local tax office to ask- I've always found them to be very helpful (perhaps surprising, giving the soul-sucking nature of taxation :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hi guys

I dont know anything about this tax relief. How does it work? Is it only for masters in Ireland or can you get money back from Masters in UK? Is it available for PGDE (Hdip)?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi ,

I did a Masters 2010/2011 and was just getting form sorted to send back to claim back my tax but from looking at the revenue on line system it appears to have changed. I thought that you were entitled to claim back 20% up to €5000 euro and was expecting a grand.

Now it seems that that the first €2000 of the claim is disregarded so does that mean the €5000 cap is gone then or is it still there and the most I can claim back €600?I paid close to €7000 in fees so it wont be so bad if they have lifted the cap.

Can anyone clarify this please?

Yes that is correct

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

But when did you pay the fees - If you paid in 2010 then I think you are entitled to claim based on the 2010 relief

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Printer wrote: »
    Hi guys

I dont know anything about this tax relief. How does it work? Is it only for masters in Ireland or can you get money back from Masters in UK? Is it available for PGDE (Hdip)?

This link give explanations about approved colleges/courses

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement