Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early childhood care and education

Options
  • 02-09-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi i am going into my final year of a bachelor degree in early childhood care and education. I am wondering has anyone completed this course recently in the last few year and where they went after it? I am undecided about what area of childcare to work in, peoples experiences and ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers! smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Trishy_Baby

Hi, glad to hear your doing the course, it really is very interesting. So, I completed the course in May 2010, and honestly I didn't know what route I wanted to take. However, I got lucky and met someone who gave me a job in a private school in the UK. I started off as a teaching assistant to 2-4 year old but got promoted to head of Nursery. I absolutely loved it and my confidence soared. Unfortunately the school ran into money troubles and is now closed. Im back home in Ireland, and must admit I'm finding it difficult to get work. i really did enjoy what I did and the experience was great. Australia is on the cards for me, and some of the girls i studied with are out there working as kindergarten teachers and the qualification is highly recognized. Would you consider going there after you finish. More of my class have gone on to do primary teaching, but I felt I preferred working with the younger ones so this wasn't an option for me, although it probably has a lot more opportunities in the long run.

best of luck with your course, hope you achieve all you hope to x

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nevs

Thats great that experience must have been great for you. I do know some people in my course and intending to go on to do primary teaching too and like you i prefer this age group we deal with. I have heard that the qualification is highly recognized over there great to hear. Would love to go over there after my degree and great to hear people to finish in 2010 are over there and working. Thanks for your comment. Good luck to you and your travels too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Trishy_Baby

Also meant to say, would you ever consider doing further studies in Montessori? There seems to be quite a lot of jobs going in that area, so it's worth looking into. I think I may pursue it further down the line but just not at this moment in time. Just got offered a job as a Montessori teachers assistant in Poland, obviously as Im not qualifies in mon I couldn't get the teachers position. Ah decisions to be made. Keep up with the course, Thanks for your best wishes and I really hope it all falls into place for you too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gobnot

Just wondering if there is any update on this thread, finished my hon degree last year and cannot get work. Got to the stage of thinking I should leave it off my CV and just say I did Fetac level 5 only. Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gobnot

Middle of October now and still no luck, anyone with a similar story?

• Advertisement
Advertisement