Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Crafts online

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Have you looked into etsy.com?

I'm not sure what the rates are but it allows you to open your own online hand made crafts/vintage items/supplies shop and they charge a small fee for each listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Etsy charge 20 US cent per posting and take 3.5% of any payment you receive (not sure if that includes postage though). Check out Zibbet.com, same general idea as etsy but once you have a basic account (which limits you to listing under 50 items) then it's free to list items and afaik they don't take a percentage of any money you are paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Etsy charge 20 US cent per posting and take 3.5% of any payment you receive (not sure if that includes postage though). Check out Zibbet.com, same general idea as etsy but once you have a basic account (which limits you to listing under 50 items) then it's free to list items and afaik they don't take a percentage of any money you are paid.

Cheers for posting that! I havent started selling on etsy yet I was only fiddling about on it and didn't know the 3.5% charge was there for all sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

I was doing some searching about the other day and came across an Irish one called craftgo.ie. Might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 martin8591

I asked last week about selling crafts online
    I really think its worthless having a website as it will take forever to get visitors.
    I don't know about the craft shops or platforms.
    Are they Irish or are they just all big sites like ebay.
    I looked at Etsy but it must have millions of sellers its a bit like Ebay.
    Is there any local or at least sites where you might get a chance with not so many sellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Am quite interested to hear answers on this myself, as tinker around a lot and would like to flog some of it. I've an etsy account but never tried to sell anything on it (yet), but the advantage they have over ebay is I forget how long a listing lasts for exactly, but think it's around the 6month mark, and the rates are reasonable enough.
    Depending on how much stuff you have to sell, you could always set up a stand at a carboot sale or something and see how you get on, and roughly the price people will pay for your work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I asked a similar question a long time back. Folksy and Artfire were suggested. I just thought I'd pass it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

martin8591 wrote: »
    I asked last week about selling crafts online
    I really think its worthless having a website as it will take forever to get visitors.
    I don't know about the craft shops or platforms.
    Are they Irish or are they just all big sites like ebay.
    I looked at Etsy but it must have millions of sellers its a bit like Ebay.
    Is there any local or at least sites where you might get a chance with not so many sellers

Threads merged. Please don't open multiple threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

If you are working on a tight budget I would suggest initially making use of the social media channels available to you FOC i.e. Facebook, Twitter etc... there is a shop facility on Facebook and the only charge you will have is probably Paypal charges....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It sounds like you're having trouble generating traffic to your site rather than actually selling crafts, it doesn't necessarily take forever to get it, but it does require work, I'd suggest talking to a professional about utilising your website to it's maximum potential (maybe you could ask the entrepreneurs or web designers on boards for opinions here)

Interlinking social networks, dedicated craft/sales sites such as those mentioned above, and your own site should yield better results, as will actually getting out and promoting your website in the real world and utilising search engines correctly, is this a hobby or business venture by the way?

I'm pretty interested to hear about the different selling platforms for arts and crafts online, especially ones aimed at the Irish market, it's something I've been keeping a keen eye on of late but aside from adverts I have not found a platform with any real potential.

• Advertisement
Advertisement