Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTS - Multi Tank Syndrome - Do you have it?

Options
  • 02-09-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭

Joking referenced by Silverfish in another thread, it certainly seems to be the case...

I started with a goldfish in a 20l tank :eek: and after it broke when being cleaned bought a larger 60l thinking I'd be able to add more fish :rolleyes:. Since starting to post here, I've definitely been bitten by the fish-keeping bug.

I now have:

a 100l tank for our original common goldfish (Dory)

a 180l Juwel Rio Community tank currently housing 3 clown loach, 14 neon tetras and a dwarf pleco (to be added to as the tank matures)

I'll also be picking up a third tank over the next few day for our little fella's Oranda which is currently in solitary confinement in a cheap 20l plastic tank we got in Argos as a stop-gap til a new tank could be bought for him as he was destroying the common gold-fish in their 60l tank (which I now know was far too small for them in the first place).

The other half is also getting into it, she's looking for a tank for the main sitting room (since the other two are in the playroom / diner in our house and the new Oranda tank will be in the little fella's room).

So, who else has MTS? And what have you got? ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Started out with two goldfish in a bowl for one week, now I have:

A 25L Fluval Chi with cherry shrimps

A Fluval Edge with a betta, which is not ideal I know, but I keep on top of the water changes and water monitoring.

A 110L with a baby oranda

A 300L with two black ranchus and a large badly behaved killer oranda (Kill count: 2)

an empty 120L sitting in the hall that I'm supposed to be selling. It's not going very well though, mainly because I haven't told anyone it's for sale. Nor will I.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

Silverfish wrote: »
    an empty 120L sitting in the hall that I'm supposed to be selling. It's not going very well though, mainly because I haven't told anyone it's for sale. Nor will I.

You have now!:D

Yep I too suffer from MTS, 3 now plus a hospital tank. Starting to consider the implications of my water changes when water meters are brought in....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

where do i start:D

When from 60ltr Year 2009
    173100.jpg

To 2x 100ltr + 1x 20ltr Year 2010
    173102.jpg

To 1x 350ltr Year 2011
    173103.jpg

Silverfish wrote: »

..Spent 90 quid on ADA substrate for this today, so looks like we can bring the tank total to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

ADA?

What's the plan for this tank?

• Advertisement

The Ada substrate is supposedly the business for planted tanks, it's a substrate and soil, so you don't have to do both. It contains all the nutrients needed for plant growth.

Going to plant it up a bit, then stock it with some kribs or a similar colouredy fish. People are very unimpressed with my goldfish tanks, they don't seem to understand just how much work it takes to keep one plant in place with a large goldfish digging in the stones 16 hours a day. So hopefully they can 'ooh' at this tank at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had never heard of Kribs before so just googled them, beautiful fish. Should definitely get plenty of 'oohs'. Be sure to post some pics!

Advertisement