Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from engineering to computer science

Options
  • 02-09-2011 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I just received my offer from DIT - DT025 common entry into Engineering. I only qualified for this course after I passed the second chance maths exam held in Kevin st. 2 weeks ago.

I just wanted to know if it's possible for me to transfer from engineering to computer science and if so how do I go about doing it?:confused::confused:

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

I'm sure it is - depending on whether or not the computer science course you are interested in is full or not!

Why do you want to change do you mind me asking? Are the courses very different. It's usually easy enough to change once you get into the college if it's not full they will often just transfer you over. Perhaps ring their admissions and they should have some information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GregGoryHouse

Thank you for your reply. It's possible that i could start engineering in 2 weeks and really love it but personally I think Computer Science is more my thing. I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

Well if you don't know try it out! What's the worst that can happen? I studied computer science and a guy transferred from engineering after 3 years and found them very siimilar he did C in engineering and java and C++ in computer science.

The job I'm in I see computer science graduates and engineering grads being taken on for the same or similar roles!

If computer science is full - Don't panic! Once your foot is in the door it's usually easier to swap and change.

Advertisement