Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easier to get onto PhD without funding?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm wondering if it would be easier to get onto a PhD program for 3 years if you offered to do it without funding, or does it make no difference in terms of succeeding to get into a research project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I don't know what your field is but you will most likely have a better chance of getting in if you're not looking for money off them or if you have external funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

While it may be a factor in the decision, I'd imagine 99% of the decision will be based on your academic credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

It would depend a lot on the subject area - if you were lab based then they would still need to provide money for consumables etc, you need to pay tuition, need money for travel to conferences etc. Plus, you should ask yourself - if this supervisor has no funding to pay me.....why is that? Especially if its lab based.......ability to attract research funding is very important, and is definitely a marker for success......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Clomail wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it would be easier to get onto a PhD program for 3 years if you offered to do it without funding, or does it make no difference in terms of succeeding to get into a research project?
    Can you provide some more details? What is it that you're thinking of doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Clomail

djpbarry wrote: »
    Can you provide some more details? What is it that you're thinking of doing?

Hopefully it will be a degree in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Clomail wrote: »
    Hopefully it will a degree in English.

In my experience of the English department at my college, you only need two things; a good undergraduate degree (you'd really want to be looking at a first in English) and a thesis topic which has the backing of a supervisor.

Depending on your progress, after a year they might "suggest" you pursue an MLitt instead of a PhD.

Advertisement