Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the big deal with Burzum?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I've been listening to a bit of burzum, I think Varg is completely overrated. I know this is highly subjective but I think his casio tunes, which were performed on a casio probably, I acknowledge this, kinda suck, I know its meant to be trance like and transcedent etc but it does nothing for me. In addition people say "wow Varg, he's a beast on guitar," imo he's pretty good on guitar but I wouldn't call him a beast. And the singing is pretty atrocious too on some of the tracks, he sounds like his voice has just broken. Most significantly the songs just aren't that remarkable imo, some of them are ok but I don't get this whole Varg is a genius argument, it just seems hip/cool/trendy to like him. He's in the same category as other emperors new clothes bands like Tool and Mastodon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm..................ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

And Rush too, I forgot to add Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

And Rush too, I forgot to add Rush
    Troll.

Troll.

Oh come on, listen to this and tell me Rush aren't bearing the flag for the musical nexus of crap that is Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UU62UcP_BA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Oh come on, listen to this and tell me Rush aren't bearing the flag for the musical nexus of crap that is Canada.

That song ain't great but come on! Crap from Canada? Ever hear of this band. They're class.

Seriously not sure if trollin' (I kid! I kid!).

I'd like to direct you to here though and pick out a few amazing Canadian bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I like Tool, Mastodon and Rush. Hell, i'm wearing a Rush t-shirt right now, does that make me cool/hip/trendy? :confused:

Some great Canadian bands too.

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I like Tool, Mastodon and Rush. Hell, i'm wearing a Rush t-shirt right now, does that make me cool/hip/trendy? :confused:

Some great Canadian bands too.

Tool and Mastodon yes, Rush no. Back on topic, Burzum sucks, discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Its not like they're Helix or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Tool and Mastodon yes, Rush no. Back on topic, Burzum sucks, discuss.

"Opinions are like a$$h0les - everybody has/is one."

"Opinions are like a$$h0les - everybody has/is one."

;)

Ah people are entitled.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Burzum are alright, but I don't find them all that great. Give me a band like Mayhem or 1349 any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

memes-meanwhile2.jpg

... any excuse to post Abbath meme's. :)

Anyway, I disagree entirely, but I'm too wrecked to discuss. Maybe when I'm not borderline comatose. Although, I do agree the production is well dodgy, and not to mention the last album had far too much treble, except it was an excellent release; Belus, the one before that was actually quite bland and I wasn't that much of a fan, but that's beside the point. It wouldn't be Black Metal if the production wasn't even a little cack though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The first I heard of Burzum, it had nothing to do with their music, but it was about Varg's "extracurricular activities". Those "Casio tunes" - if they were the ones he recorded while he was in jail for murder and arson, well, you can understand that the recording facilities were somewhat limited ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Denny M wrote: »
    Burzum are alright, but I don't find them all that great. Give me a band like Mayhem or 1349 any day.

Yeah Mayhem were a lot better than Burzum from a purely compositional point of view. I know all about the casio tunes but it doesn't detract from the fact that they could have been written and recorded in 5 minutes. And the worst thing is that he still writes them!

Advertisement