Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a license.. But only visiting home for a few weeks. Do it in another country?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 9:16am

Like a fool, I left Ireland without getting my license started.. Knew I'd regret it but that's how it goes. I won't be living in Ireland again for a long time but London is a strong possibility. I would be wanting to get a nice bike there straight away.

I have a full car license which was issued in 2009 I think. I will probably be back in Europe for a few months next year but only for a few weeks in Ireland. Basically, I won't be in Ireland long enough to get the 2 year wait for a full license started.

What are my best options?
    Can I get a license in another country like Poland or something and then get an international driving license each year I need it in London? I could happily live and teach English in a country like that while getting it sorted.
    Or maybe I would have enough time in Ireland to get the 2 year wait started? I don't really know the procedure.
    Are there any specific countries that are quick to get a license in?

For the record, I'm a good driver and drive a clutch everyday through some of the maddest traffic in the world (Hanoi).. I go out on 250cc XRs through the countryside when I have the chance and am fully in control. I don't even want big bikes yet, I just don't fancy being stuck on a moped. So learning how to drive isn't an issue, it's just paperwork.

I just feel really stuck.. I can't get a Vietnamese license and don't plan on spending time in Ireland. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd be looking at doing direct access in the UK once you get there, probably be alot more straightforward

The websites not great, but found a page on drivers license exchange, on the citizensinfo site - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html - so couple of nice options there for your 'teach english and get licensed' idea :)

Getting it here, as you say, is a stupidly lengthy (and costly process) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

England might be your best option.
    However once you get a provisional there you need to wait 6 months before you can apply for the test.

Thanks for the replies... I will be in London next April for a couple of weeks. Is there any way I could get my provisional started while there?

I'll also have to research some other countries in Europe.. It feels ridiculous that anyone travelling for a while "can't learn how to drive".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thanks for the replies... I will be in London next April for a couple of weeks. Is there any way I could get my provisional started while there?

I'll also have to research some other countries in Europe.. It feels ridiculous that anyone travelling for a while "can't learn how to drive".

You could apply for a provisional license but you're going to need an address in the uk to send it to.
    Once you get your provisional you will need to do a CBT- Compulsary Basic Training course. Costs about £120.

Once you get those two sorted you can wait out the 6 months and then apply to do the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have a full car license which was issued in 2009 I think.
    I just don't fancy being stuck on a moped. So learning how to drive isn't an issue, it's just paperwork.

You can't drive a moped in Ireland, M was removed from B in Oct 2006. So unless you already have a full M, does anyone even do that test?, you'd need to do the Theory test, IBT etc.
    Can I get a license in another country like Poland or something and then get an international driving license each year I need it in London?

Since Poland is part of the EU you won't need an international driving licence, but you could run into residency issues in countries that actually apply the law.
    .. It feels ridiculous that anyone travelling for a while "can't learn how to drive".

Learning to drive is for residents of a country not visitors. Since learning to drive takes longer the 90 days and most countries only give visitors 90 day visas. They can't and don't want to take into account people who half learned in their own country.

If you could learn to drive in a country you're not resident in we'd all be straight over to the UK for DA not the stupid 2 year wait we have here and ruined it for the people of NI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement