Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering - Counselling

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'd like to gain a bit of experience in counselling thru volunteering.

I don't have any counselling experience but I did see the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre was looking for volunteers and would train them up. I inquired but was told they were only looking for females.

Looking for that kind of thing if ya get me? Any ideas? I am hoping something like this would give me a bit of junior/minor experience and maybe help me make a decision on a future career move regarding counselling.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Active Link may help re searching for organisations in the voluntary/mental health/disability field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Childline and Aware would be good places for experience. I've worked in Aware before for about a year and really enjoyed it, it can be a bit draining after a while but overall a very positive experience.

Several friends have worked for Childline and hated it...based on their experiences I wouldn't work there myself, but it's entirely possible that they just had a rough time of it. Childline experience is meant to look great on Counselling course application forms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Volunteer Ireland has arrived!

If you have specific interests, google the organisation directly. Aware, Grow, OCDireland, wherever your interests lie.

(There's a Volunteerism forum here on Boards....over under Soc)

Advertisement