Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italian - Spanish

• 31-08-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Just curious are they VERY similar or to what degree are they similar? I was thinking in the future i would like to learn either Portuguese or Italian...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

almost 100 views and no one arsed responding cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Alright then, here's my tuppence worth.

As a student of italian, I can read spanish quite easily - not understanding everything by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a huge overlap of the vocabulary and it's not hard to get the gist of most of it. Spoken spanish is a different story for me, I could understand maybe 30-50 percent of a conversation with a spanish speaker, and much less of radio / tv in spanish.

My girlfriend is Italian, and can understand spoken spanish pretty well, around 70% comprehension she says.

So, there are many similarities, but at the end of the day, they're two different languages, and there are probably even more differences.

Learn Italian though... it's cooler. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

scruff321 wrote: »
    Just curious are they VERY similar or to what degree are they similar? I was thinking in the future i would like to learn either Portuguese or Italian...
    If you have already learnt Spanish, Italian will be a much easier language to learn than any other language you could go for. It's the most similar to Spanish, more than Catalan, French, e.t.c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Thanks for the responses ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

I picked up Spanish quite quickly having studied Italian and French. I can read and speak it well enoughm having just gone to Spain repeatedly over the years and reading the web, no classes necessary. But I can't say was it the influence of the Italian, or the French - or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I studied French and Spanish to degree level, and found Italian very easy to pick up. It is quite similar to both, and especially as regards Spanish, you can guess what the Italian word is going to be a lot of the time. Just one thing about your choice of Italian or Portuguese (presumably because you know Spanish already), while Portuguese is close to Spanish in a lot of ways, the pronunciation of Italian is a lot easier in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Belated answer and different perspective.

As with any other language, I would first ask myself what you want it for. If it's purely an academic interest, then well and good, however if you want some practical utility from it you need to consider where the language is spoken.

Italian is spoken in Italy and two of the southern cantons of Switzerland. Beyond that, it's a second or common enough language in a number of places around the World, such as Eritrea, Libya, Malta and Somalia. Please note that while 'Italian' communities do exist around the World, historically their families migrated prior to the language being truly unified (presuming it is even today) and thus will tend to speak dialects rather than Italian (this is why Argentina speaks Spanish rather than Italian).

Portuguese is spoken in Portugal and, more importantly, Brazil. Beyond that, it's found in a number of places around the World, such as Macau, Mozambique and East Timor.

So, in practical terms, if you're likely to remain in Europe, learn Italian. South America, learn Portuguese (although Italian has more 'snob' value there).

Advertisement