Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP

Options
  • 31-08-2011 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey :)
    I'm just starting 5th Year and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take on lcvp? Some people have said that it is a huge amount of work and to concentrate on the other subjects I'm doing instead:confused: I'm trying to keep on HL Maths and I was told to concentrate more on working at that instead of having LCVP as an extra subject. So do you think it's worthwhile to take on lcvp?
    Thanks in Advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Ultimately it's a waste of time in my opinion. Time much better spent trying to get a C1 on a Higher Level subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

What points are you looking to get in the leaving cert? If it's over 450 or so and you realistically think you're going to get it then I'd give LCVP a miss. How many HL subjects are you doing? If you're doing 6+ and are hoping for 450+ points then I'd advise not to do it.

I did LCVP because my school forced us to do it, but I would definitely not have chosen it if I was given the chance.

Yeah you can do a half arsed portfolio and wing the exam and get 50 points out of it in the off chance you do really bad in one of your exams but it's 2 classes a week for 2 years you could spend doing constructive study for a subject you will be using for points. I got a Merit and didn't use it. Even if I had gotten a distinction I wouldn't have used it either.

I'm anti-LCVP as you can see but it really depends on what sort of points you're looking for. If you're a weaker student and have 5 or less HL subjects then it's a great idea, especially if you're willing to put in the work to get a distinction which by the way are quite hard to come by.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I'm currently starting LCVP now and both of my sisters did it, and so far it's bloody simple for me! Although yes, it's a lot of effort it's quite easy if you've done Business or Transition Year it will make life a whole lot easier but as LittleMissLost said it really depends on what points you want. If you've a weak subject that you think you wont do great in you can substitute the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I did LCVP, found it very easy and not stressful at all. Then again I did Business so it was a huge help (got a Distinction). I did all honours and knew I would be doing all honours but I decided to do it anyway out of interest. It's a nice subject and I feel the work load is very little - you can get most things done in class. But it's up to you if you feel you need it or not and whether you like Business or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭burkemg

Is it worth taking on LCVP together with the normal LC course? The other subjects which are chosen for 4th year are English, Irish, Maths, French, Geography. Considering LCVP as an option to increase LC points. Am taking all higher level subjects in this years Junior Cert.
    The combinations I'm considering are Biology & home economics (social & scientific) not so sure about the business option, I'm not taking business as a subject in junior cert.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

burkemg wrote: »
    Is it worth taking on LCVP together with the normal LC course? The other subjects which are chosen for 4th year are English, Irish, Maths, French, Geography. Considering LCVP as an option to increase LC points. Am taking all higher level subjects in this years Junior Cert.
    The combinations I'm considering are Biology & home economics (social & scientific) not so sure about the business option, I'm not taking business as a subject in junior cert.

Check if you are allowed do it with that combination of subjects.

Advertisement