Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Tank is too small.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think for two goldfish (which a black moor counts as) ideal conditions would be close to a 300l tank. The minnows would be fine in anything large enough for the other fish. Silverfish is the resident goldfish expert though, sure she'll give you an exact answer :)

Personally, I have a single common goldfish in a 100l tank and he's doing fine though he spent his first two years before I knew any better in a small 20l tank so he's pretty hardy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hi OP,

Where to start :/

The fish you have will grow to roughly 8 inches plus, so a small tank is definitely not suitable.
    Goldfish release a chemical in their waste that stunts their growth if their environment is too small, and this chemical will stunt their growth when they need it most - when they're babies and growing up. A goldfish may survive in a small tank, but it will be very stunted, and most likely live a shortened life - they should ideally live up to 10+ years for fancy goldfish,20 years for commons.

Secondly, they are messy, messy fish, they poop a lot more than any other fish, so they really really need good filtration. What will happen is they will release waste, which causes ammonia, which is toxic, and in a unfiltered tank, your fish are just swimming in their own waste.

The recommended amount is 140L for the first fish, and 60L for each additional fish, so you'd be looking at a 200L tank if you want to keep them properly and maximise their lifespan and growth. You can go the expensive route, which I did, going from a 110L tank to a 300L, or just give up and buy the biggest tank you've space for at the start. (second hand being the best way here as well).

Here's a caresheet for a black moor, not sure what the other fish is.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Thanks for the replys, I did a lot of research into this and went back to the pet shop yesterday.

Was assured by the owner that the tiny bowl I have is sufficient.
    Anyway I wont be taking his advice again.

After I finish work today I will visit my local Maxi zoo and buy the largest tank I can afford and everything else needed.

Sorry for wrecking you're heads Im sure about once a week muppets like me come on and say they are keeping fish in something the size of a pint glass.
    By the way I saw in another pet shop tiny plastic 1 litre cubes that are being sold as fish bowls for an office desk:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There are some types of fish you could keep in something that small but not many and filtration etc. would be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

tishandy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys, I did a lot of research into this and went back to the pet shop yesterday.

Was assured by the owner that the tiny bowl I have is sufficient.
    Anyway I wont be taking his advice again.

After I finish work today I will visit my local Maxi zoo and buy the largest tank I can afford and everything else needed.

Sorry for wrecking you're heads Im sure about once a week muppets like me come on and say they are keeping fish in something the size of a pint glass.
    By the way I saw in another pet shop tiny plastic 1 litre cubes that are being sold as fish bowls for an office desk:eek:

Honestly, I'd say a lot of people started the same way, don't beat yourself up over it!

Be sure and read up on cycling the tank, the fish will produce ammonia, which is converted by bacteria in the tank to less harmful nitrite (but still toxic to fish) which will then convert to nitrate. It will take a number of weeks for the bacteria to build up to convert the waste to nitrates.

I recommend you get a testing kit - API or Nutrafin drops. (Don't get test strips). That way you'll be able to monitor the water yourself.

While the tank is cycling, you'll be monitoring for ammonia, so get a bottle of Amquel or Ammo-lock, or Prime being the most value for money - this neutralises the harmful effects of the ammonia on the fish.

You'll have to be ready to do a few water changes every few days while the tank is cycling - once you're showing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 to 20 nitrates, you know you're cycled!

• Advertisement
Advertisement