Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox controller on pc games

Options
  • 31-08-2011 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

i was looking into using my controller for games on my laptop but how do you know what games they will work on or will they work for most games, i have most of my games on steam, would that make any difference?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Some will work by default, with others you can just download something like Joy2Key to remap your keys to the pad. It's not ideal for all games, but it'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It should work with any game that supports a control pad. You should check their specs.

But I found that standard wireless controllers...when attached using the USB charge connector do not work, even when I tried using the add ons etc.

But had no problem using the wired controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

any game that support Xinput should automatically recognize it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It should work with any game that supports a control pad. You should check their specs.

But I found that standard wireless controllers...when attached using the USB charge connector do not work, even when I tried using the add ons etc.

But had no problem using the wired controller.

Did you have the wireless reciever for the pc?, because the usb connector on the wireless controller does not transmit any data, it is for charge only

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

AFAIK the USB dongle for wireless controllers is discontinued. I picked one up on ebay, works great.
    32312736-2-300-DT2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

My controller was a bit of a pain to install. The drivers aren't on windows update and the drivers included have an error that had to be fixed using an article I found on google. But it works perfectly well especially with xpadder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

iirc any game Ive played that said 'Games for Windows LIVE' worked very well with the 360 controller. No remap needed, just plug and play. It went so far as to change the dialogue options in game to show the buttons - so instead of 'press space to jump', it would prompt you 'press A to jump' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Wossack wrote: »
    iirc any game Ive played that said 'Games for Windows LIVE' worked very well with the 360 controller. No remap needed, just plug and play. It went so far as to change the dialogue options in game to show the buttons - so instead of 'press space to jump', it would prompt you 'press A to jump' etc

The exception being DoW2.
    Even says it has controller support on the box but all you can do is open the Home menu. :/
    Other than that most games for Windows work well with the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Can i play beyond good and evil on windows 7 with the 360 controller functioning properly?
    i hated having to play it with the keyboard and mouse back then and they decided to omit the pc from the rerelease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I was thinking of getting fallout 3 for my laptop would a controller work on that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I was thinking of getting fallout 3 for my laptop would a controller work on that?

It was a GWFL game so the 360 controller should work perfectly. Can double check later at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

marco_polo wrote: »
    It was a GWFL game so the 360 controller should work perfectly. Can double check later at home.

Cheers,I had it on the 360 and traded it in when I finished it but now id love a shot at modding the game a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 7samurai

Fallout 3 def works fine and I used www.fallout3nexus.com/ for mods

• Registered Users Posts: 82,185 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

360 controller works for just about everything that supports a pad. I think the only weirdness I ever encounter was trying to emulate a PSX.

Advertisement