Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of atheist/agnostic are you?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

1 You can find no evidence to provide the existence of a god even though you would like to believe in something if there were tangible proof

2 You don't believe in god and will do everything in your power to disprove and refute any evidence that a god exists

What kind of atheist/agnostic are you? 2 votes

You want to believe in god but can find no evidence that god exists
    0% 0 votes
    You don't want to believe in god and will always refute evidence that god exists
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Option 3: Not overly bothered by the whole situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I would love if God existed - it's a huge pity that he doesn't because it means that everything is ultimately futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I would love if God existed - it's a huge pity that he doesn't because it means that everything is ultimately futile.

I'm with the Minister on this. I grew up in a religious background but got disillusioned when at an early age I notice that "god" seemed to favour those with more money or those who licked the minister's backside most. Even though our family weren't favoured by the church they are appalled that I am now agnostic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Somewhere in between 1&2. It would be nice to be able to meet my deceased loved ones in heaven and it would be nice to know an all loving deity is watching over us.
    But then again, there clearly isn't an all powerful and all loving deity watching over us. Hence why the world is full of needless suffering. I'm quite glad the apathetic and megalomaniac God as described in so many religious texts is not real. I'd say he'd be a horrible character to meet in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

1 (a) can find no evidence to prove the existence of a god [and im not that bothered about it] though you like to believe in something even if there is no tangible proof...

meh, thats me anyway. kinda believe in 'something', not sure what/ dont care really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Neither.

I don't "want" to believe in a god...any more than I "want" to believe in dragons.

And I wouldn't do everything in my power to refute or deny evidence.

It just is what it is -> zero evidence presented to date = zero belief to date.

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Neither of the two options involved as they're worded.

I'd be option 1 if you removed the "you want to believe in god" component.

I'm not too excited about the idea of seemingly all-powerful entities which could undo existence in a millisecond actually existing. Plus I'd feel like some form of bacteria created by this entity/deity in a cosmic lab.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

The bad kind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

The bad kind

We're all bad, or so some people think! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Handsome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Option 2 is daft. Why would anyone refute the existence of something when given evidence of its existence? Surely nobody's that desperate to believe in something. :pac:

If any hard evidence of some god's existence ever comes to light, I'll happily accept its existence. But I won't kneel before it. Nothing deserves worship if it can treat its creation as shoddily and as cruelly as it pleases. In fact, I'll probably try to kick it in the metaphysical nuts, right before it sends me to eternal torment for not recognising how wonderful and loving it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Poll needs an option for "Awesome".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Neither. In your two options, you have the opinion/belief coming first and expect people to view the evidence in that light. In my view the evidence comes first, and you base your opinion on that. The words "cart" and "horse" come to mind.

Which makes your option #2 confusing, since I don't know how I would react if any real evidence was presented. It hasn't happened yet, but the term "evidence" is used by some when they're really talking about testimony. The Bible is testimony: it's an anthology of what various people said & wrote over centuries. Personal experience is testimony: it's what someone thinks they saw. Apologetics, well, I suppose that's a mix of testimony and opinion, but I never see any presentation of evidence in there. Have I missed anything?

Besides, if we saw something "god-like", what do you think would happen? Millions of scientists and atheists undergo instant conversion to your religion, just like that? Hardly. The scientists would start poking and prodding it, and the rest of us would be asking "what's it going to do for me?" and "will it blend?" :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I don't "want" to believe in a god...any more than I "want" to believe in dragons.

You don't want dragons!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Otacon wrote: »
    You don't want dragons!? :eek:

Of course I want dragons - are you mad?!

...but I don't stay up at night wishing I believed in them! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Emme wrote: »

1 You can find no evidence to provide the existence of a god even though you would like to believe in something if there were tangible proof

therefore

2 You don't believe in god and will do everything in your power to disprove and refute any evidence that a god exists

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Buddhist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd like to believe in a nice God and a nicer afterlife in the same way I'd like to believe I'm Roberto Baggio on the football pitch.

It would be great, but let's be real, the sad reality is those beliefs are as likely as each other.

The important thing is the lack of belief doesn't stop you enjoying the game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »
    The important thing is the lack of belief doesn't stop you enjoying the game. :)

Arsenal fan?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    Arsenal fan?
    Maybe if they go ahead with that new signing I saw earlier. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I wouldn't like god to exist because if he did and if he's anything like the bible god i'd be a ****ing satanist

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Neither.

1- I don't want to believe anything, what a terrible criteria for determining something to be true or not. I don't want the sky to be blue, well tough **** Malt, it's going to be blue because that's just the way reality is. If God exists He exists, if He doesn't exist He Doesn't exist. What I want has absolutely nothing to do with that fact.

2- Again, what a preposterous position. Denial of something when presented with ample evidence is just plain disillusionment or dishonesty. (Some would argue both are the same.)Rational Skepticism is good, but blind biased denialism is detrimental.

What kind of atheist am I?
    The kind that doesn't believe in God in the same way that the majority of Christians don't believe in Thor. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Galvasean wrote: »
    Arsenal fan?

You're mean. :(

As for the topic - I don't understand what desire has to do with atheism or agnosticism. If I looked at the idea of god in the same way that I do the idea of a unified field theory, I'd want to find evidence of it, and look forward to its discovery - but it's not like that. An all powerful god-like entity, if one existed, would seem by all appearances so far to be a nasty individual that I'd rather not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

what do you call someone that doesnt believe in fairies?

"atheist" suggests there is something that you dont believe in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Emme wrote: »
    I'm with the Minister on this. I grew up in a religious background but got disillusioned when at an early age I notice that "god" seemed to favour those with more money or those who licked the minister's backside most. Even though our family weren't favoured by the church they are appalled that I am now agnostic.

That's a crying shame really. The God I came to know through the Scriptures doesn't favour anyone on the basis of status and prestige (James 2:1-13). It's a crying shame in that the actions of men have led you away from a God of abundant mercy. The door is open to anyone, anywhere no matter what any man says to accept a relationship with God through His Son Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I dont think the IPU is going to be too happy with you.
    Repent now and you may be saved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

This does not apply to me, that's ok so far.

This implies that I would ignore evidence or dispute it regardless of it's validity, please include a third option;

3 See no evidence of there being a god, but are willing to consider any position supported by evidence - Do not have an emotional stake in the outcome.

Advertisement