Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on BB

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey,

I currently use Wiimax but I'm looking to switch to another BB crowd. I HAD to get Wiimax as my last place only supported it, but I've moved and I decided to use up the rest of the contract before I switch.

My BB has dropped to 1.6 mb on average and a .05 upload, sometimes a .01 upload. I contacted them several times, and on 3 occassions, they never returned my call.

Finally got through to a chap, with basic english and explained my situation. According to him, because it's wireless, I should try moving the device closer to a window - because he thinks where I currently have it is the issue.

But the thing is, when I first got into the new place the BB was fine. I was on 5mb (paying for 3) and a good upload.

Long story short, Wiimax are ****. Lesson learned. :mad: So, what BB should I get. I've been looking at UPC - they offer a 12mb for €25 which seems reasonable.

What do you guys have/think?

Thanks,
    e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Long story short, Wiimax are ****. Lesson learned. :mad: So, what BB should I get. I've been looking at UPC - they offer a 12mb for €25 which seems reasonable.

The current lowest offering from UPC is 20Mb for that price (plus the surcharge for not taking phone or TV).
    I have a great service from UPC and would heartily recommend it.
    Fixed line, in this case cable, is millions of times better than any midband offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

bealtine wrote: »
    Fixed line, in this case cable, is millions of times better than any midband offering.

Absolutely. I thought it was funny that Wiimax offered a cable installation to try rectify the problem, and I was all up for it until they told me it couldn't increase my speed and it would cost me €120 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wimax is a technology, not a company. It is used by many different companies.

If it's Imagine that you refer to, then their implementation of Wimax is not very good, and prone to all sorts of problems. A real broadband service, like cable, DSL, fixed wireless, etc, will be significantly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

jor el wrote: »
    Wimax is a technology, not a company. It is used by many different companies.

If it's Imagine that you refer to, then their implementation of Wimax is not very good, and prone to all sorts of problems. A real broadband service, like cable, DSL, fixed wireless, etc, will be significantly better.

Well that's probably the most "by the book" reply I've ever heard!

Yeah, looking forward to getting back to cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well that's probably the most "by the book" reply I've ever heard!

You'd prefer a less accurate answer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement