Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learner going with the big boys?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

im just wondering would you's let a learner thats never went on a spin before go with you for a spin?:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yes, don't see the problem. It's a great way to learn from watching the way the others in the group are driving and observe their driving position etc. As long as they're not going to go racing off and either leave someone behind or expect a beginner to keep into them no matter what speed they go then it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

+1

The only two pieces of advice I'll give you is whatever the **** you do, do not ride faster than you think is appropriate yourself. The other piece of advice is whatever the **** you do, do not ride faster than you think is appropriate yourself.

Personally, if I know I'm out with learners, I'll try to keep an eye on them but I've seen my buddies just charging off into the distance, which isn't very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

cantdecide speaks the truth

went on a good few runs in my learner days, and always felt I was pushing myself too much initially - not wanting to slow everyone down, worrying what people think blah blah blah. They (other guys) are always going to able to go faster then you. Always. So if you push on, they'll push on too (thinking you want to go faster), and its a bit of a vicious cycle thats really just going to end with you outside your comfort zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

thanks for the replies people..Ye i was just worried that i'd be made a fool out of,on my honda bros..and thought you veteran bikers would look down on me and not go for a spin:p..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah sure I used to go on motorway 'blasts' with guys on r1's and fireblades

and me on a cbr125 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

navangang wrote: »
    thanks for the replies people..Ye i was just worried that i'd be made a fool out of,on my honda bros..and thought you veteran bikers would look down on me and not go for a spin:p..

bros is well able for anything, had one a few years back great bike sorry i ever sold mine, they'd go forever best of luck to ya on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

cantdecide wrote: »
    +1

The only two pieces of advice I'll give you is whatever the **** you do, do not ride faster than you think is appropriate yourself. The other piece of advice is whatever the **** you do, do not ride faster than you think is appropriate yourself.

Personally, if I know I'm out with learners, I'll try to keep an eye on them but I've seen my buddies just charging off into the distance, which isn't very cool.

+1

Know your limits and don't give in to peer pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have been on a run recently where one person was on a bike 5 weeks and another was on a bike 3 weeks.

As said, don't push yourself and make sure the run is going to be appropriate. No point turning up for a houlie run when you know you will not match the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Loads of lads here saying its no bother which is great.However, It depends on the run and how much the learner picked up so far..

I have been on couple of runs were people have been advised not to come as they hadn't yet picked up the basic skills required for such a run and would be a danger to themselves and the group.

A few of us here recently attended a memorial for an experienced pilot many of us used to go on spins with,for me his passing brought home the potential dangers on every spin.

Id rather send home a pissed off learner who's not ready, then attend their funeral.

If your an able pilot then there is no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cantdecide wrote: »
    +1

Once you do the above, there can't be any problem. Great advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

hobochris wrote: »
    Loads of lads here saying its no bother which is great.However, It depends on the run and how much the learner picked up so far..

I have been on couple of runs were people have been advised not to come as they hadn't yet picked up the basic skills required for such a run and would be a danger to themselves and the group.

A few of us here recently attended a memorial for an experienced pilot many of us used to go on spins with,for me his passing brought home the potential dangers on every spin.

Id rather send home a pissed off learner who's not ready, then attend their funeral.

If your an able pilot then there is no issue.

chris here has a point saddle time is essential, suggestion to you is take it easy, ride at your own pace and remember there is no prize for riding fast on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm dying to go out on a ride with others. But I've only been driving for a few months so I'm in the same position as the OP.

I would just feel like I would be slowing everyone else down and just being a third wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I'm dying to go out on a ride with others. But I've only been driving for a few months so I'm in the same position as the OP.

I would just feel like I would be slowing everyone else down and just being a third wheel.

If you're out on the road riding as a group with lads who refuse to adapt their riding style to allow for someone new to biking to find their comfort zone then your ability is not the problem but rather their ability to be muppets.

A lot of riders seem to forget their own beginnings when they criticise beginners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ask them if they mind you going. You have to start some time. And as mentioned before, just keep your own speed. Definitely don't try to drive to fast, especially if the roads are bendy. Just know where you're destinations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As the others said ask if they mind and then make sure you know where they are going.

There's no harm in being last but trying to keep up is stupid if you don't know what you are doing. Never let others push you beyond your comfort zone. Better to arrive a few minutes later then not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

A real biker NEVER looks down on other bikers.
    We are a group of people who choose to do something that is a little dangerous. It is up to each of us to look out for each other cos god knows no one else will. Ride safe and always stay within your comfort zone regardless of how fast the others are going. Bear in mind that we go out on organised runs for the thrill of riding with other people. If someone tears off ahead you can almost guarantee you'll find em 10 mins down the road having a break.
    Most of the time ppl understand that there are others who cant or dont want to ride as fast as them so they have no problem waiting. Its all part of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

im just wondering would you's let a learner thats never went on a spin before go with you for a spin?:o

Are you going on a spin? Im quite new to biking and im definitely not fast on spins! but there are fast spins and slower spins so ask first before you go maybe.
    But dont care what people think, you are the most important thing on your bike, look after you! :)

i wana go on a spin now!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Didn't one of the forums (not this one I afaik) organise learner only spins a few years ago.

I'm a newbie myself and definitely into riding within my (limited) limits but happy to learn as I go.

Might be an idea to try and organise one of these in the Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Each of the forums wil organise runs but most are viewable to Members only.

You can always try organise a Newbie run here yourself or you can join one of the forums and organise one yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

do you own thing and dont try to copy anybody....they could be more experienced but doesnt mean they are doing it right...overtake cars when you feel comfortable and you have enough space.

took my bros for good few spins and it was great fun specially on twisty roads....very forgiving and has enough torque to pull you out of the corner in any gear.

there is enough newbie spins organised around the place to get good feel for it.

but go on guys ....set a date for boards.ie sunday spin and off you go

• Advertisement
Advertisement