Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!! Please?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I bought a 1982 Yamaha XJ 750 D a few months ago. This model was only made for the domestic Japanese market and never exported by Yamaha.

172730.jpg

One of the previous owners (I assume) coated the inside of the tank with some kind of resin. This resin is now flaking off everywhere and clogged up the fuel system. I cleaned the entire fuel system, changed filters, etc and now want to clean the tank. I bought the Kreem tank cleaning system and used it as per instructions, but it still didn't get rid of all the stuff.

Been to a number of dealers but nobody can source a new (or even clean used) tank for it - considering it's most likely the only bike of it's kind in the country. Tried to source one through the internet but also no joy there.

Does anybody know where I could get the tank cleaned and re-coated? Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm kinda desperate by now. Would even consider having a new tank custom made, if there's a place that can do this.

Thanx all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Call P&T motorcycle parts in Cork first - 021 437 9827. They have a ton of rare classic japanese bikes. You'd never know your luck. If they can't help you, I don't know what else to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

have you any pics showing tank, might be same as other model

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

PaudyW wrote: »
    have you any pics showing tank, might be same as other model

Just dropped it off at a metal workshop to see if they can cut it open so I can clean it and they then weld it back up. Will post some pix when I get it back (hopefully by Friday).

Even if they can do the cutting/welding, I'd still be interested in getting a new/used one. Just to be on the safe side.

Will keep y'all posted

Thanx

cantdecide wrote: »
    Call P&T motorcycle parts in Cork first - 021 437 9827. They have a ton of rare classic japanese bikes. You'd never know your luck. If they can't help you, I don't know what else to suggest.

Thanx for that. Just gave 'em a call and they'll have a look and call me back. *fingers crossed*

Had to resort to rather drastic measures with this tank and hope to have it sorted now. Brought it down to the metal work shop and they actually cut it open, cleaned it and welded it back together. Am just running another chemical sledgehammer rust treatment on it and should be able to put the tank back on the bike tomorrow evening.

However, if anyone ever comes across a clean tank that could fit my bike, let me know. Here are some pictures I took today after I picked it up from the workshop:

tank front.jpg

tank rear.jpg

tank side.jpg

underside front.jpg

underside rear.jpg

Thanx for any help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement