Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Almighty - any good?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

well, a blast from the past. Are they worth checking out? Never got around to them first time around........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

No

Always felt they were overhyped by the UK metal media at the time, a bit like Wolfsbane,Xentrix and Onslaught and a few more. Really weren't great bands I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Their cover of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet isn't bad. I'm not familiar with the rest of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

seachto7 wrote: »
    well, a blast from the past. Are they worth checking out? Never got around to them first time around........

Powertrippin is a pretty decent album. Saw them a couple of times when they were touring this album as they were supporting Maiden and it is a beast of an album live.

Their albums before and after that had some good songs rather than being good albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Used to love them - give them a listen & see what you think. They really used to divide people when they were popular - they either loved them or hated them.

I remember going to see them once in the SFX & there were only about 100 of us there. Still gave it socks though, it was a great gig. Wasn't as keen on Ricky's solo stuff or Sic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I remember a mate of mine had powertrippin at the time, but I never took much notice. I also recall their set at Milton Keynes which wasn't bad...I might check that album out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Agree with the comments about Powertrippin', I thought it was pretty decent. Not too familiar with any of the rest of their stuff, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭RayCon

Saw them support Megadeth in The Point Depot years ago ... can't remember much about them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Loved The Almighty, were a great band to get pissed to, bit of a bikers band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

really liked the Almighty
    powertripping is a great album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

They always seemed to be chasing trends. They had their cock rock phase, then it all got downtuned and Seattle influenced, then they changed again...

The two albums from the last tens years seem the most honest. And thats the thing with Ricky Warwick and The Almighty. You can see where its being marketed/aimed toward. I admire the man for sticking at it. I remember seeing SIC in Whelans and The Almighty in Temple Bar. But even the solo stuff, the cod americana and the Oirish folk punk stuff, its a bit cynical.

I genuinely admire the bloke. Thought he had Hetfield levels of stage presence and persona. The Al-f*ucking-mighty rocked. But you could always see they were conforming to a plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement