Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish isn't dead!

Options
  • 31-08-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

A chairde gael,

A quick note (as Bearla, mar níl mo Gaelige scríobthe maith ar fad... < mar shampla) to let people know that this generation (the one entering 6th year) still has people outside of Gaeltacht areas who LOVE this language.
    Now and again, I'll have a conversation with my friends in Irish - and we'll enjoy it. Not because we're studying, but because we find the language beautiful, and fluid.

Maybe this is a somewhat pointless topic, but I wanted to spread a bit of hope for the under appreciated teanga.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I overheard an Irish conversation group chatting away in a cafe on Dawson St recently. First time I've heard others speak it in a long time. Most were intermediates; obviously there's people out there with the will and desire to dedicate some time to learning what's often described as a useless language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jubbin

I would like to start teaching myself and my small kids *aged 7,5 and 3 Irish but there seems to be no courses on line or anzthing else suitable. This is the sort of stuff we need to keep Irish living. Any suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Jubbin wrote: »
    I would like to start teaching myself and my small kids *aged 7,5 and 3 Irish but there seems to be no courses on line or anzthing else suitable. This is the sort of stuff we need to keep Irish living. Any suggestions :)

You could try one of the various Book/CD courses available.

You should find several in any reasonably sized bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Jubbin wrote: »
    Hi Jubbin,

The best over all introduction is "Learning Irish" by Michael Ó Siadhail, but that's too grammatically focused if you want to learn with your kids. I would suggest Buntús Cainte, develops the spoken aspects of the language and at some later date get something like Ó Siadhail or a grammar book to get more advanced in the language.

• Advertisement
Advertisement