Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Help me identify this creepy bug?

• 30-08-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ rafaetha

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I hope you can help me identify this little fecker. Wife jumped in panic when she saw it in the bathroom. I live in a ground floor apartment.

Is this bug a nester or do you think it got lost from the garden outside and ended up wandering in my bathroom?

Thank you.

Image of the late bug here (click to enlarge): creepybug.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ theparish

Looks like an earwig,but I ain't no entomologist.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,430 ✭✭✭✭ steddyeddy

I think its an upside down earwig. You can see its pincers at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ rafaetha

Someone suggested it could be a devil's coach-horse beetle. What are your thoughts on that? I'm a complete ignorant in terms of insects, but after googling both the earwig and the devil's coach-horse beetle I'm still confused.

Do either of these bugs bite? My other half is afraid now. Should I be concerned about maybe having more hidden in the bathroom - and how do i get rid of them?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor

Those are some wicked mandibles... I don´t think it's an earwig. It looks like one but I've never seen earwigs with such big mandibles- it reminds me a lot of a predatory beetle (mind you, not saying that's what it is).
    Of course, it could be some kind of predatory earwig I have no idea about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 EGAR

It is a Devil's Coach-Horse (Ocypus olens) - quite a common beetle with a *fierce* look. If threatened it straightens it's legs and lifts up his end like a scorpion. They are quite harmless beetles who can grow up to a little bit over an inch.

200px-Coach_Horse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor

EGAR wrote: »
    It is a Devil's Coach-Horse (Ocypus olens) - quite a common beetle with a *fierce* look. If threatened it straightens it's legs and lifts up his end like a scorpion. They are quite harmless beetles who can grow up to a little bit over an inch.

200px-Coach_Horse.jpg

Haha! I knew about this bug! It's in a book I have. :D Can´t believe I didn´t remember the name.
    Yep. Predatory beetle, like I said. I'm so awesome it hurts :cool: XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 Sid_Justice

should have asked in the nature and bird watching forum, that's a very easy to identify beetle

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ rafaetha

should have asked in the nature and bird watching forum, that's a very easy to identify beetle

In fact i did ask there too, wasn't sure of the right forum though so asked here first. :)

Advertisement